What's Food Safe Meaning?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by lovesha, Sep 13, 2016.

1. lovesha
    lovesha Member
    I see there are a lot of materials are marked as not food save. Does it mean the material is not eatable, or even it cannot be used as food container?

I want to print some popsicle molds. Is non food safe material can be used for such purpose? Or if any one can suggest some "safe" material for this purpose?

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Porcelain is the only "certified" food-safe material here (standard porcelain production process, food-approved glaze applied using commonly used methods).
    "Strong&flexible" (Nylon) is a non-toxic material, but the production method leads to a porous product that may allow molds and bacteria to grow once it has come into contact with food. Most of the metals will be corroded by at least some foods (sterling silver should just tarnish with formation of non-toxic compounds, but is probably too expensive for practical purposes, never mind palladium or the high-carat gold alloys). The various acrylics may/will contain varying amounts of uncured acrylic resin.
    What you can do is apply some food-safe varnish to your prints (or wrap them in food-safe plastic or aluminum foil), but obviously shapeways cannot make any promises about what you do with a model once it is out of their hands.

3. deletedforest
    deletedforest Member
    I have some concerns about any unglazed portions of a porcelain container. I put up a small bottle a minute ago, but then found that the mouth is most likely too small for the interior to be glazed, when I rechecked the materials page. I had missed that little tidbit earlier. I will ask customer service, but in the meantime I think I'll go pull that product.

4. deletedforest
    deletedforest Member
    OK, got an answer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sep 28, 11:18 CEST

Dear John,

Thanks for writing in.

Porcelain is the only material that is food safe. That also means the unglazed parts.
    You can see the material as like in a coffee cup at home. That's food safe as well just like the unglazed parts.

I hope this helps you.
    Joost Denissen

Community Support & Relationship Ambassador
    www.shapeways.com
    On Shapeways: https://shpws.me/LO3W
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------