Previewing Full Color Sandstone Material Before Printing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 661206_deleted, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Does anyone have a workflow to be able to preview what your model will look like in the material before purchasing it. I know you can generate preview images on the site. But I mean a workflow that works in a piece of modeling software like keyshot or zbrush? Thanks

2. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    you have to create a material that matches sandstone finish, in whatever renderer you chose.

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Probably hard to do without knowing the exact color space the printer can address - remember this is just a simple four colors inkjet, black and the primary colors cyan/magenta/yellow, and the gypsum surface must be similar to laid paper.
    What you can do is buy one of the color palette models from the shop section that show what specific RGB colors translate into on the actual print, and use a WRL/X3D/DAE viewer like view3dscene to check that the file export from your modeling software works as expected.

4. Can you send me an example of what you are talking about looking at from the store? Because the only thing I know of is the sample materials that you can purchase

5. Thanks both of you for your responses I wanted to know does the sandstone color material peel or fade after a couple months of use. I was thinking about making some charms out of them for family members and wanted to know if I made little charms out of them and they wore them like pendants, or necklaces would the material be durable for that type of thing.

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    See this one by "stannum"
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/48XM9UDQD/color-quick-reference?optionId=40713397
    in particular, but a shop search for "palette" in sandstone material should bring up a few more.
    The sandstone material is a bit brittle (like one expect from a part made of gypsum), sturdy enough to survive a fall from
    waist height onto a carpeted floor, but not onto stone or linoleum. The coloring is not waterproof unless you order the newish "coated" option or apply a varnish yourself. I do not think we experienced color fading during normal indoor use, never tried putting parts outside in direct sunlight. I think I remember an old posting by kaetemi a few years back describing the making and testing of sandstone doll figurines and other keychains
    Edit: this must have been it https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/full-color-sandstone-test-prints.7191/

7. you are a god send @mkroeker thank you so much for this post it even answers other questions I had about polishing the models I have a question. This post as back in 2011, do you still think that after I get my models printed I will have polish them in order to get rid of the grainy look like the models below from the thread you gave me. DSC03663.jpg DSC03668.jpg

8. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    Colors won't peel, but will fade with time. print lines will be visible no matter how much clear coat you do. If you want to get rid of those you have to do some polishing. Downside is the colors are not very deep, between 1~2mm, so you might well polish off the colors if you aren't careful. Enough clear coats will make the surface smooth to the touch though, even without polishing.

I did a color sandstone print back in 2013, didn't clear coat it or anything. Colors lasted a just a few months sitting on my computer desk, not a bright room by most standards. Clear coat might have kept it longer but I can't say for sure. Haven't printed anything in color sandstone since so I don't have any pictures. Much more durable to print in WSF and hand paint it.

For little gift charms I'd do something like polished bronze steel, if you don't plan on doing dozens and dozens. Fairly affordable for small charms, around 3cm in the longest dimension, can be as low as 10~15$ per print. Infinitely more durable than sandstone, and won't feel as cheap. daily use will keep it polished.

9. Thanks for responding I was wondering about polishing and colors because some people have posted models that you can purchase but they look so clean. I wanted to make my models available for people to purchase if they wanted them the ones I posted are for sale on shapeways by other artist. I do appreciate all your help I am going to make some models and try to get them printed soon

Attached Files: