Text/image Positioning

Discussion in 'Customizable Products & Design' started by woody64, Sep 5, 2016.

1. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Since beginning of customising I'm failing in proper positioning of the text/image boxes.
    As example:
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/edit/5KFVVTCEE

- sizing of text so that at least 2 letters are possible
    - so that the text box is correctly placed in the front rectangle of the socket

- yes the figure is small but a good example for a cuff-link (even in precious material to stay affordable)
    - two letters for the initials are a common usage

To be honest it drives me to hell and hasn't changed significantly during the last months. At the end it's still unusable:
    - 2 letters like WW are to big for the box
    - no "."
    - correct placement nearly inpossible
    - smaller text to allow a name also not possible

Maybe my experience is wrong but are there any other designers having more success?
    Or is that still a feature which needs further improvements?

Woody64

2. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Hopefully this tool will get more attention. It has been driving a lot of business my way so it must be doing the same for Shapeways. When I use it for my own stuff I tend to use the image box for text input that can't be realized using the tool. Personally I'd rather be able to use 2 or more image boxes and jettison the text box. It's worthless except for the most basic and short text inputs.

If you could at least set up the text box to generate a minimum number of characters and let the tool auto-size vertically to fit that would be very useful. The latest update that automatically enters "Shapeways" in the text field to start with is so very. very sad when it shows "apewa" or some other shortness instead. BTW, the text string "Shapeways" should also be entered into the text input box at the same time because it could be confusing to users why it's showing up on the product by default.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  3. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    hapeway.jpg

4. woody64
    Good point. I also have changed my text box into an image and got the desired result within minutes. Now I'm able to select a picture of my Initials and it works as desired.

5. 104516_deleted
    104516_deleted Well-Known Member
    Yup @woody64 that's still a future development. Same goes with different fonts enabled for the textbox option. Using the image to pop the initials is a great solution, and for now offers you more diversity :) Could you share some photos of the results?

6. woody64