Why Wont This Print!?!?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 1280873_deleted, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Hello Community,

I am having issues with my rhino object and I contacted the help center with no prevail! Could you guys help a brother out?

"Helllo Shapeways,

I am a lighting designer based out of Melbourne Australia and would like to get some components printed by you.

1.I am having some issues with uploading and .obj file to your site and getting it to view correctly.

2. see attached for files as well as screen shots (top two are my view of mesh object in rhino and second 2 are the viewport on the website).

3. this object is roughly 115mm tall and 47mm in diameter.

Thanks so much!

Brandyn"

Attached Files:

2. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi Brandyn,

Thank you for reaching out.
    This is caused by some errors in your design where the edges are not connected.

When you upload the model, our model processing software tries to fix these open edges, unfortunately it caps them in your case.

You can easily check this yourself with the free tool called Netfabb Basic.
    The STL file from your post.
    upload_2016-8-31_11-41-25.png
    After i click on the repair button in Netfabb it shows the yellow lines, marking the areas that aren't closed (the red parts mean the faces are flipped, but our software will automatically flip them)
    upload_2016-8-31_11-41-51.png

Applying a fix shows that the edges are being fixed by capping them:
    upload_2016-8-31_11-43-5.png

So how to fix: make sure the edges aren't open in your 3d software (connect them / weld them).
    This should make sure our software wont cap them while trying to fix it for you

3. Save your .3dm files and upload them to Fusion 360 (it's free for businesses up to £100k)

Open the model, go to model mode and then select 3DPrint - uncheck send to 3D print utility and then you can save it as an stl.

It will create very neat and error free mesh files... Also - if you're having issues with filleting in Rhino, use the Fusion 360 facility to tidy up your models.

-
    Andy

Use the check command in Rhino too:

Attached Files: