Material render order

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by czhunter, Jul 24, 2016.

1. czhunter
    czhunter Well-Known Member
    Hello Shapeways, I have one small suggestion:

Would be possible to automatically order material renders that way, so the ugliest one (default grey render) is the last one?
    Now the grey is the first one. When I click some materials on selling tab, they start to render, but the grey one stays first (even when not default).

Then I have to reorder it manually every time.
    Not much work, but I guess that nobody wants to stay the grey as first, so it is useless as default setting.

2. czhunter
    czhunter Well-Known Member
    Ok, you've removed the whole Default render.

Also solution :-D

3. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    Has the default grey render actually been deleted from products? That sucks because I have used it in place of the crappy wsf renders that are so difficult to see. Is there a way to continue to have access to it so people who want to use it as a default image are able to download it and then reupload it as a the default render?

4. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    @draw You can download Blender3D from www.blender.org , the default gray render it is in fact the default Blender 3D scene with a spot light setting , just search on youtube some tutorials.

5. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    My work flow here has been based on using the original standard gray render that has been available forever. All I'm asking for is a link somewhere to the old render, if only tucked away in the model editor somewhere, for download and use without having to render in a different program. This isn't just a matter of affecting new products but also maintaining a consistent look in the store for all my old models that used the old gray render. I don't really feel like re-rendering the default images for existing products using 3rd party software.

While I appreciate Shapeway's attempts to make everything more consistent on the site and address problems (such as crappy wsf renders) the fact is that these efforts often literally take years to get any traction. It shouldn't be any surprise that shop owners are going to use some work-arounds to do things themselves. And then unannounced surprise changes blow everything to heck. Of course the disappearance of the old gray renders could just be a temporary bug and not a site-wide change, but they do appear to have been removed from old and new models in the store.

Another solution might be to make the wsf renders less crappy. In that case I could simply delete the old gray renders I have been using as default images for offerings in wsf.