Jet Engine Cufflink

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by MatthewMole, Jul 6, 2016.

1. MatthewMole
    MatthewMole Member
  2. jooshkins
    jooshkins Member
    Very cool, nice job.

3. ROOKA
    ROOKA Active Member
    cool

4. ProjectMobius
    ProjectMobius Well-Known Member
    these look amazing! :) Would even be cooler if the blades could spin!

5. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    oo yes, i agree these would be really cool if they could spin also!! sounds like a project for interlocking metals.. :p

6. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Very nicely done!

7. MatthewMole
    MatthewMole Member
    Thanks for the positive feedback

I am considering the interlocking material suggestion so watch this space!

8. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Interlocking metals does not handle spinning propeller , at 1 mm it is no way to spin.

9. MatthewMole
    MatthewMole Member
    I completely agree, it is far too loose a fit. It requires being a closer fit such as 0.005 - 0.010" (0.125-0.25mm) radial clearance, which will allow it to spin but without it rattling about, however this will be impossible to produce.

They still look great as they are though!

10. MatthewMole
    MatthewMole Member
    20160718_193731.jpg 20160718_193524.jpg

Attached Files:

11. MatthewMole
    MatthewMole Member
    Here are some other shots of the cufflinks

12. Leander
    Leander Member
    These are beautiful. From an aerodynamic/engineering point of view I must criticise the shape of the blades, since they are not quite realistic for aeroengines. This is due to the backward sweep and the small spinner cone in the center.
    But then again, I am also saying this from a competitor's point of view. :p
    I hope you don't consider my message harsh, the cufflinks look good! Seeing that this subject of jet engines is gaining popularity is a good thing! Keep it up

13. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Check your PM for a solution to it.

14. MatthewMole
    MatthewMole Member
    Thanks for taking the time with your feedback. Technically the blades can be like how I have modelled them (see attached pic). The geometry of the blade will be determined by the specific requirements of the engine (i.e. aircraft its to be used on) and then modelled in CFD to get the most efficient shape which produces even flow of air through the turbine. My requirment in this instance was to produce a blade that could be consistently produced and finished to a high standard. The overlapping nature of the blades presents an issue in final cleaning of the cast, so wanted a shape which could be vapour blasted easily.

Thanks again, and heres to much success for the both of us!

Why-does-Rolls-Royce-manufacture-the-engines-for-Airbus-and-Boeing-728x440.jpg

15. Leander
    Leander Member
    The engine you displayed here infact matches the blade shape pretty well. I stand corrected. I focus so much on the recent airfoil and blade design. Additionally I must admit that I struggle with true to shape designs from all angles of view as well. It is often easy to get the blades look true from the front but not knowing the exact outline from a circumferential view, it is always a challenge to get the blades to be on point from different angles.
    Your looking at the design from a jewelry manufacturing point of view is very good. Yes polishing is never as good on the blades and inside the nacelle ring. I have tried to find ways of hand finishing myself, but altering the design to meet the difficulty is a way too.
    Good luck and thanks for the reply!