Holiday Season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Youknowwho4eva, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    With the Holiday season approaching (Yes still a few months, but gotta get them designs printed and photographed for cyber Monday). How are you shop owners preparing? I know I always forget to think about it till it's too late myself :cool:. Would love to see some of the works in progress! And what's worked for you in past holiday seasons?

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Nothing planed. Do you know if Shapeways will have a Christmas ornament contest again?

3. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Hey, I'm printing (or rather, Shapeways is printing) my latest science geek Christmas ornaments as we speak. I should try to come out of my little niche cave and do something a little more mainstream, though...any ideas, anyone?! The customizable Christmas ornament contest was fun.

katkinkead likes this.
  4. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    I think I just need to take photos of what I already have.

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Still tuned in to radio laria, or is it going to be Xenopus-mas this year ?

6. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Xenopus-mas, Drosphilamas, Arabidopsmas, etc. :D
    The ornaments actually sold pretty well last year...great for people who don't like jewelry and/or don't want to pay my outrageous prices. ;-)

7. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Oh a science themed Holiday collection (like in a newsletter) could be really fun. We'll keep this in mind :)

8. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    I would like to take this opportunity to note that in the December blog post about ornaments my ornament is not assembled correctly in the photo.

[​IMG]
    https://shpws.me/KJKq

The bottom insert is supposed to be flush with the large sphere. There are six click tabs that fit into small slots inside the large sphere. I will admit that the mechanism is not the easiest thing to align and assemble properly, so I might need to redesign this with slide guides or some other mechanism. If you use this ornament on your tree this year do me a solid and try to make that thing look better!

9. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    Always love to see what people come up with for the holiday season! We have a ton of different tools and features coming out this year, too, which is really exciting. I think the best way to prepare is simply by ordering your things and taking awesome photos!

Of course sharing them too. Always browsing through the forums for new things to feature :)

10. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    I'm in the prototyping and ordering stuff phase. I'm working on some Game of Thrones inspired bracelets and some other necklaces. My latest designs all required an additional gemstone or long chain, meaning that they didn't sell or that I didn't even bother to put it up for sale. So it's time to move one to something more commercial viable. I'm still completely in love with a necklace that existed of 2 triangles and a chain, but selling it without chain just doesn't make sense. Guess that one will go to Etsy.

Example of what I love but doesn't sell:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  11. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    It's a shame that doesn't sell :'( You're skills make me so jealous!

Daphne likes this.