SVX error

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by shawn_halayka, May 2, 2015.

1. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
    I'm trying to export some data to SVX format, and upon upload I get the error message "We're unable to process this file. Check your file for errors and click 'Update File' to upload a new version.".

I've tried to make my data as close to the sphere tutorial (http://abfab3d.com/svx-format/), including the same manifest file and same file names. I've attached the SVX file... can you see anything wrong with it?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I tried several things, and I can't seem to figure it out either.

I can tell you this.. your files have blanks before the digits and a lot of systems don't like blanks in filenames.

Change your file names to "slice0001.png" and use the format code slice%04d.png

I tried this manifest, but it didn't help:

3. shawn_halayka
    After playing around with it for a few more hours it turns out that the library I'm using is saving some of the images as 1-bit per channel, even though I'm explicitly telling it to save as 8-bits per channel. So there's an optimization feature (not a bug) in the library I'm using. Sorry to have wasted so much time. Thank you.

I got it fixed now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  4. stonysmith
    Whoops. That was one of the many things I had looked at, but I failed to notice that your 22 slices that are all black were at bit depth=1
    Glad you figured it out.

5. shawn_halayka
    Thanks again for your help though. :)

6. RezaAli
    RezaAli Member
    Hi Guys! Thanks for providing an amazing service and great support, I'm having a hard to getting my svx files to work. Whenever I upload them to shapeways, i get the same error that shawn was getting.

Also to get the file to upload here, I added a zip extension, please remove it and then unzip the svx file!

Thank you for helping!

Attached Files:

7. stonysmith
    You've got the file nested inside of a folder within the zip.. The SVX format expects the manifest.xm to be in the top level of the file. Move the xml and the images folder up one level, and it'll work.

8. RezaAli
    RezaAli Member
    Hey Tony! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, i tried that, and I'm still running into issues. Can you test this file for me and see how the system reacts?

Attached Files:

9. RezaAli
    RezaAli Member
    Guys! Figured it out, Tony you were totally right, sorry your advise didn't sink in until now! Thanks! Super excited! :D

10. shawn_halayka
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  11. RezaAli
    RezaAli Member
    Hey Shawn!

Sorry for the delay, didn't check my shapeways messages till just now. I've been working on a voxel based procedural modeller! It can make all types of gnarly shapes! Its like Processing for Form Finding. Its really great for sketching form and making organic shapes, learn more & download it here:

https://www.syedrezaali.com/store/f3-osx-app

One thing that I've been working really hard on is exporting all types of formats, include svx, its done now and works because I've been uploading all types of crazy shapes to shapeways!

Planning on launch this slowly over the next month with examples and images and 3D prints on twitter!

Attached Files:

12. shawn_halayka
    I hope that you share some of your shapes with all of us.

13. shawn_halayka
    Have you any experience with the Marching Cubes algorithm?