See Through Material

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 781248_deleted, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Hello, I see that there are two options for a see through material, ultra frosted and transparent acrylic, but was wondering if there was another cheaper material that I could use that I could see through easily. Making a container about the size of a coke can, but want to be able to see through the container to the contents inside. Doesn't have to be clear, but translucent enough to see an object inside. Am I stuck with those two options? See through enough that I could see an object dropped in, even if it's just the shadow of the object.

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Translucent and Transparent are two different things.
    Neither of the materials are optically clear. They will pass (and scatter) light, but they are not "clear".
    Some folks have polished the outer surface of FUD such that it allows you to see partway into the object, but if you can't also polish the interior surface, an embedded object is likely not to be visible.

3. That's what I was meaning, translucent, thanks for clarifying for me. I would just like to find the most translucent material, so I can see that an object made it into the container. For example, if I set the container in front of a light, I can vaguely see an object fall into the container.

4. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member