Help! Model Has "Ripples" on Top and Bottom

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by GInSpace76, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GInSpace76
    GInSpace76 Member
    I recently ordered a model that arrived with unsightly "ripples" on the top and bottom. Unlike most models that I have printed through Shapeways, this one is mostly solid. It needs to be solid -- or at least very strongly reinforced internally -- in order to support weight from other parts that will attach to it.

I ordered the part in Red Polished Strong & Flexible Plastic.

Is this model's solid nature the cause of the ripples? If not then what else might be the issue?

Thanks!

2. GInSpace76
    GInSpace76 Member
    Here is a contrast-enhanced photo of the printed model. The ripples are present on the top and bottom.

Attached Files:

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Could be print lines - the model is built in layers, and tiny misalignments may show up like that. This largely depends on print orientation - they added a preview tool to simulate this and allow user-defined orientation for strong&flexible lately.
    (What you could do is email service@shapeways.com with the picture and get their opinion on whether this is still within their usual production tolerances, or warrants a reprint. While the material can be sanded easily, the dye does not go deep so you would have to try and dye it again yourself with textile dye if the sanded faces are visible after mounting)

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Those are some intense ripples. Contact service and we'll fix you up.

5. GInSpace76
    GInSpace76 Member
    Thanks! I've done so, and someone has replied that he is investigating the problem. Thanks again!