from 2D trough 3D.

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by ns1200, Jul 29, 2016.

1. ns1200
    ns1200 Member
    Hi There

Is it possible to upload a 2d AI/DFX/EPS drawing in to a 3d drawing program and ad thickness to it.
    How do I do that. For me 2D is easy, 3D is a problem.

Thanks Rick

Attached Files:

2. EngineersOnDemandNow
    EngineersOnDemandNow Well-Known Member
    If you have 3D software, there are multiple programs that will import DFX vector drawings as a "sketch" and will extrude it for you to whatever thickness you want. If you have SolidWorks, this is very easy to do by just using an "Import Sketch" tool.

3. ns1200
    ns1200 Member
    I got solidworks but still can't get any further.
    Can't even find the ïmport" button.
    3D just isn't my thing.

Rick

4. EngineersOnDemandNow
    EngineersOnDemandNow Well-Known Member
    Heres the step by step guide from their website (We're not plagerists, but this was easier):

1. Open the drawing (.dwg or .dxf file) in SolidWorks.
    2. In the DXF/DWG Import dialog box, select Import to a new part and click Next.
    3. On the Drawing Layer Mapping tab, edit the sheet name and click Next.
    4. On the Document Settings tab, select Import this sheet and to a 2D sketch.
    5. Click Finish.

Basically, just open the .dxf file, and it will guide you from there.

5. Ronsaki
    Ronsaki Well-Known Member
    PM me and I can have it done for you.

6. prototyping
    prototyping Member
    Hi, I just published an article in Linkedin where I do just that. I used 'R', which is a nifty programming language to create a "surface", and then used Blender to add the thickness. The article has a link to a very good Youtube video, where the author uses the "solidify" modifier to add thickness to a shell.

For some reason the forum bot thinks my link is spammy. However, you can look at the product that I am talking about here, and follow the link to the Linkin article there. Kind of a lot of work, but worth looking at:
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/G6C8MFZJG/hermit-crab-designer-shell-3d-0-7mm-thickness

When I used Blender to add the thickness, I made sure it was pretty thin... then after uploading to Shapeways, I let the Shapeways' thickness fixing algorithm home in on the minimum thickness needed for the material.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016