PLEASE HELP!! Issue with 1/4' threaded holes

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 1121458_deleted, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Hi guys,
    I'm new to the 3d printing world. I'm making a camera cage, in 123d design, and I'm trying to figure out how would you make 1/4' and some 3/8" threaded holes, and I tried many different ways but nothing works for me...I explain what I'm trying to do so far. I made the design and I put 5mm and 8mm holes in lots of places and I need to transform them into 1/4' and 3/8" threaded holes (typical camera screw sizes) so I imported a 1/4' screw found it on 123design website and I isolated it, in order to extrude it from my cage to make threaded holes, but that shapes is full of facets and can't be patterned or copied and group it together in order to extrude it. All this doesn't allow me to replace all those holes to threaded holes. I see the screws I found are meshes and I wish they were simple solids, that way I would know how to do it. Anybody can help send me a 1/4' and 3/8" solid shape so I can do this? I couldn't find them anywhere. I can only barely use 123 design so please bare with me I won't learn any other software for the moment :D Also I need those screws be 4cm/40mm long and obviously none online

Attached Files:

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
  3. How can you download the files of the screw?

4. I'm not looking for hardware, I'm looking to have a file of a 1/4' screw, not the real screw

5. Shea_Design
    Keep looking, they have cad files for nearly everything in inventory. Drill down to the product details button. BTW - Printing small threads can be tricky. -S

EDIT; For example:

mcmastercarr-grab.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  6. can you send a me a link to it please, I didn't see it myself. Thanks for your help

7. Shea_Design
  8. palutke
    palutke Member
    I'd consider printing the holes with a 0.201 diameter and then using a tap to create the threads afterward.

9. gitfiddlerno1
    gitfiddlerno1 Member
    If possible I would avoid making plastic threads and make it so you can use a threaded insert, such as a nut