Somewhat Suspicious email

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeyBugs95, Jul 22, 2016.

1. MikeyBugs95
    MikeyBugs95 Well-Known Member
    Hello. Recently I received an email that I found kind of suspicious. It was sent from service@shapeways.com but I'm just not sure. Here's the content:

I'm just not sure about this. I don't recall having anything that would require a refund.

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Looks like phishing to me. I don't think Shapeways has offered bank transfer as a means of payment. To the best of my knowledge they only offer credit card and PayPal.

I don't think there is a relationship ambassador either.

Perhaps Shapeways should report the activity that has been transpiring over the last few months to the US Department of Homeland Security to get the ball rolling with getting law enforcement involved.

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Refunds are first placed into your account as "Store Credit".
    You would have to contact service@shapeways.com to get it moved from there to any other form of payment.

If you don't see the money as a Store Credit, this email is VERY suspicious.
    Definitely don't share the requested information until you get a trustworthy confirmation.

4. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    It's a valid email ;)

@UniverseBecoming, we do offer Banktransfers, for at least 5 years :p

the customer probably paid using a banktransfer, the order got rejected/cancelled or there was a complaint.
    In order to refund, in some cases we don't see the IBAN used and thus are requesting it by having the CS team reach out in order to help the customer and the finance team!

@stonysmith, refunds are not placed in account as store credit, we stopped this a couple of years ago.
    Rejections are refunded right away (either by finance team or automatically by voiding the authorization)

I can however imagine that this email feels like spam.

5. twoshay
    twoshay Well-Known Member
    So it sounds like it's a legitimate email, but I'd have to strongly recommend against using email for this kind of activity. Email has so many un-encrypted points of exposure outside the company's control that you should assume any information in email has a good chance of being picked up by a third party.

Even a PM in these forums would be more secure than an email (legit!)... but (as a developer) my first choice would be to have the email notification direct the person to the Shapeways website with instructions to go to a refund-info data entry page. The captured data there should be protected as personal financial data - locked up tighter than the general-purpose shop/model data.

Hopefully this comes across as constructive criticism rather than knee-jerking bell-ringing. I'm a big fan of Shapeways. I'm certain that the emailed-info method would raise flags in any audit, though. It only takes one leak to bring lots of negativity - best to plug every discernible hole.

6. MikeyBugs95
    @MitchellJetten Yes, I pay mostly through bank transfer as my PayPal account still doesn't allow me to make online purchases. (still have a youth account *insert eyeroll here*) But none of my recent orders (both made on June 25) have been rejected nor was there a complaint. I don't have any store credit either. So now this leads me to believe this is spam...

7. MitchellJetten
    I have asked James what is going on, I'm sure he'll reply here on Monday ;)

@jimmyadvice ^

8. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    All be darned, I never noticed the bank transfer option in all these years. I also received an email from customer service today, regarding another matter, and saw that the relationship ambassador job description is valid as well.

Or, hackers have taken over the entire site and we're talking to a bunch of hackers right now! HAHAHA! :D

9. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    To transfer markups?

10. MitchellJetten
    Nope, sorry @stannum.
    Only for for payments to SW, not for markup payments from SW.

11. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I know that the process was tweaked some time ago so as to not charge for an item until it was approved, but does that include rejections that happen after printing? Most of my rejects are failed/broken prints, not up front.

12. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    OK, just checking; nothing changed.

13. MikeyBugs95
    The world may never know... ;)

:D :D :D

And bank transfer is pretty much the only option I use. Unfortunately, my bank doesn't allow me to include the order number when I send it so I have to send emails to customer service to alert the finance department to keep a lookout for my transfers.