Wrong ring sizes

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by UniverseBecoming, May 27, 2016.

1. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Shapeways is consistently making and distributing wrong ring sizes. If anyone there at Shapeways is interested take a look at my extensive conversations with service going back more than a year concerning this matter. I will no longer be placing any orders for rings as I have the ability to make them myself anyway. Also, I have removed all the rings with different sizes from my shop until this matter is resolved. I have removed the rings that have different sizes because I don't want Shapeways consistently sending the wrong ring sizes to my customers and making everybody upset and thus degrading my Universe Becoming brand.

Community Support & Relationship Manager Nisey told me numerous times to put markings on my rings indicating the size, even after my explaining that there is no room for doing that on some of my ring designs.

Let me know when you guys fix this as I'd like to get back to offering all of my ring designs for sale. Thanks.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Which material(s) are you having the issue with?

3. UniverseBecoming
    Oh high Michael! I just saw your reply just now! Somehow I missed the email notification for your reply. I came back to copy the thread over to the customer support forum. However, since I see that you tried to reply I'll keep it here for now. The issue is concerning my ring designs in silver. It could be happening for platinum and gold too, but my orders for those are too low to say one way or the other.

One thing I'd like to find out is, who is the managerial person responsible for the customer support managers? I'm asking this question because there has already been one customer support manager who has done nothing about this highly critical problem other than to tell me to do something that is physically impossible.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I wonder what you are doing differently (assuming that this problem does not affect others as well - if it did, surely we would be seeing more of it here ?) Are you ordering batches in multiple sizes, or are some of your designs so popular that different sizes of the same ring will often end up in the same production batch (and each be sent to the wrong customer due to mixup after printing) ? Or could it be that some links to different sizes of the same design got corrupted, with a size 8 model going into production when the customer picks the size 6 or vice versa ?

5. I've had a couple problems that could be related. The first was when I ordered polished and raw silver versions of the same ring. The polished one was significantly smaller (not just lost detail; one fit on my finger and one didn't). I don't know if there was a scaling problem, or if the casting shrinkage wasn't the same, or if the polishing can actually cause the whole thing to shrink.

More recently, I ordered three rings with very slightly different sizes, and found that two of them had been put in the wrong packages. I wasn't really surprised, since they're indistinguishable unless you feel them side by side, but this would be a serious problem if the orders were going different places.

6. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    Hey James, thanks for calling this out. I'll get in touch with our production and sorting team and see what the deal is, and how we can prevent this from happening again.

Also, please bring your rings back! I was hoping to order some soon :)

7. UniverseBecoming
    I'm not receiving forum reply notifications now. It was working, but now it's not.

Mk, I think it has to do with whenever there are two or more rings that look similar and are printed at the same time, in this case, the handler simply picks a ring completely at random. No regard whatsoever that one or the other could be different sizes.

This needs to be weeded out. Who are the actual employees responsible for letting this happen?

Hey there Kat! :D That's the spirit! I know you would never send someone something they didn't want. :D If you want something just let me know and I'll fulfill your request. For now, until this is fixed, I need to protect my brand name. I don't want any negative seeds out there. :)

Among the oozing of industrial sludge that is Shapeways in general there are little glimmers of sparkle here and there. You're one of those sparkles. :)

8. katkinkead
    Hey James, totally understood on needing to protect your brand name. We've heard you, and are working with our supply chain and CS teams to identify how we can improve the process so we don't make this mistake again. We've got some things in the works -- and soon we will have a solution!

If you happen to have an order number associated with the mix ups, that might help us get down to the bottom of this.

And you've got quite the sparkle yourself James!!

EDIT: Thanks for noting no notification on the forum post. Let me know if the problem persists and I'll report it

9. 908280_deleted
    908280_deleted Shapeways Employee Product Team
    Just want to quickly jump in here to echo what Kat is saying - this is an inexcusable mistake for us to be making and we're going to resolve it. Thanks @UniverseBecoming & @botsnlinux for flagging.

katkinkead likes this.
  10. katkinkead
    Hey @UniverseBecoming - I just want to let you know that we've identified the source of the issue, which seems to be happening on a vendor level. We are working on a scalable fix for this, but in the meantime we've implemented a secondary quality checking on rings at our distribution center - we will be using a mandrel to double check that the ring sizes are as they are supposed to be before shipping them, and if they are not we'll have our vendor do a reprint to make sure you get exactly what you've ordered.

Please, let me know if the issue persists. And I hope to order one of your DNA rings soon, so -- if you happen to make them for sale again, let me know =)

11. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
  12. UniverseBecoming
    Wow! Thanks for fixing this! I'm amazed you can train a mandrill that quickly! :)

I'm still not receiving email notifications. Although, I did see the two alerts today in my account when I logged in. Ok, I'll turn my rings back on. Thanks Kat

Thanks Hunter as well!

13. katkinkead
    @UniverseBecoming Yay! Just went ahead and purchased one of your rings -- excited to receive it!! (in the correct size!)

I'll check with our team on the email notifications...

14. UniverseBecoming
    awww thanksythanks :)

15. UniverseBecoming
    Hey @katkinkead I figured out why the email notifications are not working. It doesn't automatically subscribe us to threads like the old forum. One needs to click the more options button, just below the the text box where we type replies, and then select the Watch this thread and receive email notifications options. I liked the old way, where it automatically subscribed us because I am highly forgetful, but perhaps I can get into the habit of subscribing.

16. UniverseBecoming
    Better yet! There are forum settings, they're here. I went there to edit my signature the day the new forum came up, but I didn't see those settings I don't think. One of the settings lets you automatically subscribe to threads. It should work now. YAYYY! :D
    Forum settings.png

17. TheSpaceStore
    TheSpaceStore Member
    Same issues happening here, received an entire batch where the sizing was off. I will open a case with support but it looks this problem has not been completely resolved yet.

18. virginia_gordon
    virginia_gordon Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Hey @TheSpaceStore thanks for reaching out to support. Sorry to hear that this issue is popping up again.

Which materials did you order that came in the incorrect size?

19. TheSpaceStore
    TheSpaceStore Member
    This was done in steel, I understand there is a 5% +- on this material but I had size 5 and size 7 rings that were 1/2 - 3/4 of a size too small. I really need to determine if this was just a one time error in manufacturing or something that will consistently be off. I have a support ticket open but i am not sure if they will be able to determine the root cause.

20. virginia_gordon
    virginia_gordon Shapeways Employee Community Team
    @TheSpaceStore I see! I'm sorry there was such a large size discrepancy. The customer service team speaks directly with production in order to determine the root cause - they will be able to provide you with more information on your exact design and whether this sizing difference is something particular to the design or just that print.