Model different size after uploading to Shapeways

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 757618_deleted, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Hi folks,

I'm relatively new to 3D modelling, but I have managed to produce a couple of pieces using FreeCAD.

The first one I was able to upload to Shapeways, and I got a test printing which came out great. The second one, a little different experience...

The piece is (fundamentally) a cube about 0.625" square. Here's a screen capture of what it looks like in FreeCAD:

[​IMG]

However, when I import it into Shapeways, it imports as a cube almost 16" square.

[​IMG]

I've exported from FreeCAD as both an STL and a DAE file, and both of those import with the same dimensions. I didn't have this problem with the first part, so I'm not sure what I've done wrong.

Any ideas? I know you can scale a part, but I don't like that idea as these two parts are supposed to be a sliding fit between each other (and yes, I'm expecting to have to sand them a little to remove the surface roughness inherent to the printing process)

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    FreeCad is exporting the model in millimeters, but you are selecting inches when you upload the item.
    Upload the item with millimeter as the units and it should work fine.

3. Weird. I selected inches with the first model. I'll give it a shot. Thanx!

4. sjhughes101
    sjhughes101 Member
    hi--I've had the same problem with Blender. Any ideas??