Fossil evolution

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by DarrenAbbey, Dec 14, 2011.

1. DarrenAbbey
    DarrenAbbey Member
    I've been working on a model of my favorite fossil creature, Wiwaxia corrugata. I've had this design successfully made in stainless steel, but this one is in polished WSF. It turned out great. IMG_4794.jpg

This newer version incorporates more of the features which make it such a cool creature. This design couldn't get made in SS, the spines are likely to break off during handling of the green stage print, but it turned out great in polished WSF. IMG_4793.jpg

I'm working on a further version which better matches the fossils.

2. jeff
    jeff Member
    nice, the evolution of your models could make a cool series itself. keep sharing.

3. DarrenAbbey
    DarrenAbbey Member
    I agree. I may even produce a set of intermediates between the versions I've been making, to show/suggest how the transformations between them would be made.

4. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    I've really enjoyed watching this project develop. Showed it some love in Friday Finds this week. :)

5. I've really enjoyed watching the various iterations of this project as well. Dorkily (and shamefully) enough, I can't help looking at this little guy as a pokemon. Looking up info on the real creature has been interesting, though, so it would be quite cool if you offered miniature (possibly FUD?) prints of your final design when the project reaches maturity. :)

6. DarrenAbbey
    DarrenAbbey Member
    In FUD they're about the right size, but are rather delicate due to the thinness of the scales/spines.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to translate what little is known of their color to the final presentation. How do you paint on iridescent?

7. The lacquer/thinner mixing described here seems like a slight possibility, but I don't have too much experience with that sort of thing, so I don't know how applicable it would be to this kind of material without causing it to break down or something unexpected.