What sells the most in your jewelry shop?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by janecreating, Sep 17, 2014.

1. janecreating
    janecreating Member

Hello there :)

I was wondering what sells the most in your jewelry collections: rings, earrings , cuff links, pendants or others?

Will be grateful for your feedback.

2. janecreating
    janecreating Member
    How come with 55 people viewing this topic nobody wants to share his thoughts on it? It seems like none here is making any sales at all on jewelry?

3. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Correct, i read the topic but I'm not making any sales on jewelry :)

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Not everybody reading it will be into jewelry, or want to be the first to share their experience. Some may be tired of newcomers asking for a "get rich quick" scheme, as "I want to know what sells best" or "I want to know who makes the most money here" are recurring topics. If you went to an after hours party at some design show or jewelry trade fair, would you expect immediate answers if you burst into the room with this question ?

5. janecreating
    janecreating Member
    Hi :)
    Well I assume if you decided to read the topic even though you are not into jewelry and not a new comer still you have got some interest in the field? :) So do I.
    As for your comparison to the jewelry show after party and the blog here, honestly I do not see any familiarity, and believe me I have got an extensive experience on jewelry show after parties.

As for me I only read the topics that I have a personal interest in, or related to my professional field, so I assume that most of the 55 people who viewed this topic do related to its issue. So this leaves my last question open.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  6. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    This is a forum for people who are interested in 3D printing in general, and printing with SW in particular. Within that scope, some people like to read outside their immediate area of interest to see what people have to say, help where needed/possible and maybe learn something new.

I could be wrong, but I would guess that your assumption is incorrect.

As for the OP, in my case the answer is pendants, but the sample size is probably not statistically significant. And most of the sales are to me...

7. janecreating
    janecreating Member

Thank you AmLach, for your straight to the point answer. It is this simple right? Someone asks a simple question and gets a simple answer :)

Thank you for being open and sharing your experience. I also have assumed that pendants will sell the most here, this is why my shop consists mostly of pendants in my jewelry category. Once again thank you for your insight.

8. janecreating
    janecreating Member

P.S.

With so many topics and categories of this forum I would hardly have time for any other things than reading all the posts. So yes I have time available only to read the ones that are valuable to me at the moment.

In general, guys, thank you for being so nice... it is always good to know your colleagues.

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I've sold 1 of my zipper ring :). Well kind of 2.

10. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    There it is no recipe for what it is selling!

A painter paints 1000 painting in his life , only 10 of them are masterpieces that sell at private fund rise ...

One example it is one of my country sculptor Constantin Brancusi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantin_Brâncuși his works did not give him million of dollar when he was alive , neither today his family does not get big bucks , but his sculptures are sold now at : Constantin Brancusi, Oiseau dans l'espace (Bird in Space) Price - $27.4 million

I see jewellery making as sculpting.

All depends the way you market your product and target clients in the end , dose not mater what you sell , toothpicks or jewlery , car or houses.

Due the diversity nobody in here can`t tell you "what sells"

I can make a sculpture that for me "sucks" then next day see someone buying it ... people taste it is dynamic , and you must chose what client you have in mind and make a product for that client.

Some recommend to search some marketing expert to give you some insight ... some just only want to take your money and say crap ... some just say to do it your way.

I`m not a guru , but I try to do it myself , if I fail ... I keep doing it until I`ll win.

Some people want to keep "secret" how they run their business that it is way they are so "shy" of saying things up ... some hire people to do the marketing stuff .. some got lawyers.

If I think only about money then I don`t create original art , I do crap , and that means that I don`t care "what sells" , I only care that my stuff will be a masterpiece for me ,and become a masterpiece for the world.

.... no going to learn some marketing sop ... and stuff

11. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    I don't often design jewelry, but when I do I prefer to purchase them for my girlfriend.
    Keep designing my friends.

12. janecreating
    janecreating Member

numarul7, thank you very much for an inspiring thoughts and examples. I really appreciate your feedback!

13. janecreating
    janecreating Member

Michael Williams, thank you very much for sharing your experience.

14. janecreating
    janecreating Member

Draw, thank you for your feedback.

15. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    Rings and earrings.

16. janecreating
    janecreating Member

Daphne, thank you very much for your feedback. I really like your Rose ring!

17. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    I feel like pendants are best suited to how Shapeways sells. People are comfortable adding a string or chain, not as comfortable adding an earring hook. I have a few earring-size parts, and they mostly generate inquiries about whether a post or hook is included. With rings there's the problem of sizing. Bracelets tend to be a little outside the price sweet spot for 3DP, unless they are very lightly built in which case I would worry about durability.

But my main focus isn't jewelry. I'm sure that someone who's serious about jewelry and has good stuff and markets in a focused fashion can sell any format successfully.

Malwen likes this.
  18. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    I call robot traffic! :D I can't believe that there are that many lurkers! :D

I didn't answer, because I don't have a good answer. For my Shapeways shop it is rings, but one just ONE ring design, the DNA ring designs. So that's not a good answer. :)

I like Bathsheba's answer, that's a very good answer. I think I'll add some more pendants. Also, I would add that Shapeways is not setup very well for different ring sizes. It's not like Etsy or eBay for example where a shopper can just pick a size from a drop down list.

Mkroeker tends to be critical at times, he wasn't being mean, it's just his personality type within the forum. :D

19. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    I agree with this, especially when we're talking about cast metals. And I'm only really interested in cast metals for jewellery.

In addition, I would say that cufflinks are never going to be big sellers (they and tie-pins are going the way of the dodo), earrings are too expensive (because of the handling fee) never mind the hook issue, and it is my opinion that when people buy rings and bracelets they really want to try them on and see how they feel/look. Which leaves pendants... these seem somehow more neutral to buy without the tactile experience. Just my opinion.

Having said that, my favourite piece that I have designed is a silver bracelet: it is not inexpensive, but I love the way it looks and feels. It has a real heft to it, and I think in terms of value for money in relation to shop/store prices, it's great. But I have no idea how to market it.

20. janecreating
    janecreating Member

AmLachDesigns, UniverseBecoming and Bathsheba, thank you very much for sharing your experience.