Tips for 3D Printing with Sketchup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by denali3ddesign, Nov 5, 2012.

1. I recently wrote an article to help Sketchup newbies get started making models for 3D printing. Read the article here: 8 Tips for 3D Printing with Sketchup.

If you have any Sketchup related questions, post them here and I'll do my best to help you.

2. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Awesome!

Very nicely done, I'm sure a lot of people will find this useful!

3. Great website!

Very helpful information. Thank you, I'll be checking back often.

4. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Marcus, this is a great post!
    Thank you!

5. Glad its useful!

Would you guys be interested in more stuff like this? If so, what specifically do you need help on?

6. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Marcus, I emailed you!

7. How to set the orientation of your model to be the same as SW's model render would be useful. And the uses of the .dae to ease scaling problems.
    Your tut was great. It will help many new users, as some good tidbits for older users.

8. Thanks, glad its useful!

With DAE there isn't any way to match the Sketchup render with the SW render, but you can change the orientation of the model in Sketchup so you get the desired render on Shapeways.

When exporting to DAE, the red/blue plane is treated as the base, so just before exporting, rotate your model 90 degrees. Make the model a group, and use the move tool on the little red 'plus' sign that shows up on the bounding box to rotate the model quickly. See here:
    Sketchup-DAE-Export.jpg

When you upload to Shapeways, the model will be shown in the "before" orientation.

9. Thanks very much

10. Sure :)

One reason I prefer STL is you don't have this issue with orientation, but there are other things you may not like so its up to you which format you choose. At least there are lots of choices!