Your New Website Sucks

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Joel_Cairo, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Joel_Cairo
    Joel_Cairo Member
    I have a store, but now I have no idea how to add a new item to it. Having made a living at website design some years back, it's so clear to me how to fix this mess. Shapeways, your web design company ripped you off. What a frustrating, time wasting experience this has become.

2. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    ...Murphy's Law rules over Shapeways...

MikeyBugs95 likes this.
  3. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    To add a new product from a file, go to the "mymodels" page.

On the far right, beyond the trashcan, there are three dots. Click on them to get a popup menu.

First, check the file in 3D tools. You'll need to check in each material you plan to print the item in, although in the Versatile Plastics, you only need to check one of the colors.

If those work for you and you are good you proceed to the next step which is to return to the "mymodels" page.

Second, if you rename from the file page, then click on the three dots to get the popup menu. You should find an option to rename the file. BE SURE TO CHECK THE NAME. Long names are truncated without warning. When you are happy, go to the next step.

Finally, click on the three dots to get the popup menu. You should see the option to create a product. From there, it works much as it used to.

That is how it works at this point in the time-space continuum. Once this point has passed, things may change.

I hope this helps.

Jean

MitchellJetten likes this.
  4. Model_Monkey
    Model_Monkey Well-Known Member
    SW, please give us back a one-click method to get to the product page from the model page. Losing this feature is causing some problems.

One of the difficulties I am finding with a shop of large models is that when I am on a model page, make any changes to the model (update, change name, etc.), then click exit to try to go to the product page to update the product description, price, etc., the "3D Models/My Models" page comes up. But the model I'm looking for gets lost among all the other models. Searching for it by typing in its exact name into the search bar yields a host of other models, but not the one I'm looking for, despite typing in the exact model name.

I can only find the model by going to my shop page and searching for it under "All Items" or using my off-site catalog. So instead of just one click to get to the model as in the past, I am now having to search for it. Lots of wasted time and many clicks later, I find the model.

Please give us back the one-click link to the product page.

[edit: there is a very easy two-click way to do this. See my post below.]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    kaadesign, adbinc and MANDELWERK like this.
  5. Joel_Cairo
    Joel_Cairo Member
    Let's go back even further. When I first land on Shapeways.com, and sign in, there should be a "My Models" link in the drop down menu that pops down when I click my avatar at top right. Because as it is now, I'm three clicks in, and I still don't see any link for getting to "My Models". And worse, there's no apparent logical path or clue to even finding the "My Models" page. At this point it just becomes a guessing game via trial and error. Dumb.

2079351_deleted likes this.
  6. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Click on the 3x3 dot matrix in the upper left hand corner to access model, product, and shop related links..

7. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    I feel this loss as well. I have a couple of workarounds.

I can go to my products page and click on a tag that will limit the search somewhat. Don't click on two because instead of searching with an "and" to narrow the search, it "ors" them together, pulling in more stuff.

If you search your 3D models page, using more words brings in more stuff, again because the search engine uses "or." (Searching for Juggernaut brings in seven ships; searching for Juggernaut battleship brings in two pages of files.) Pick the most exclusive term in the file to narrow your search.

<sigh> I never thought I'd have to use my librarian reference skills to find my own ships.

Jean

8. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    I am so sorry. You are right, I made an assumption that you'd tried the menu blocks over on the left. I need to add that into my own instruction manual.

Jean

9. MrNibbles
    I did not know clicking on a tag item filtered the product list. Nice to know that.

Also using AND between search words on a text input line in most places will also limit searches. Default is OR.

I finally took the plunge and ordered a couple of items at tremendous savings from a competitor. Can't say I really like the websites of any competitors but saving money? Priceless. I'd hate to reverse engineer everyone's price structure, and then upload products to an appropriate site for optimal pricing, but it might be necessary for some items. Still it's sad to see how the Shapeways website experienced the equivalent of a cranial hemorrhagic stroke. It's going to require a lot of user therapy to recover from the event.

10. Joel_Cairo
    Joel_Cairo Member
    I wonder if you might PM me the name/web address of that competitor? ;-)

11. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    [QUOTE="MrNibbles, post: 231872, member: 208663"

Also using AND between search words on a text input line in most places will also limit searches. Default is OR.[/QUOTE]

Everywhere except Shapeways I can override the search engine. I tried searching "Juggernaut and battleship" and got two pages of files (the Juggernauts only have seven ships, one of which is a battleship). I've tried every search strategy I can think of and the best I can do is to either search by one word in the files or to use the exact name of the product in Shapeways main search box and hope it floats to the top in relevance which it usually does because I've been very consistent in my naming conventions.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  12. MrNibbles
    Everywhere except Shapeways I can override the search engine. I tried searching "Juggernaut and battleship" and got two pages of files (the Juggernauts only have seven ships, one of which is a battleship). I've tried every search strategy I can think of and the best I can do is to either search by one word in the files or to use the exact name of the product in Shapeways main search box and hope it floats to the top in relevance which it usually does because I've been very consistent in my naming conventions.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if the marketplace, model page, and product page searches all behave the same way. Maybe you could try using the marketplace search using something like "Juggernaut AND battleship AND Amarillo" to narrow results. Or use "Juggernaut AND Amarillo" to find the seven products. Sometimes I do that to find something as opposed to clicking through my product or shop pages, but it needs to be for sale and public to work.

13. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    Ohhhh, that worked! The weird thing is it doesn't seem to pick up words that are in the tags. If I search "Star Fleet Battles" (which is in the tags) and Juggernaut, I get no results except suggestions to search for iphones and rings, etc.

I love learning something new that will help my folks find stuff. Thank you so much!!

Jean

14. Model_Monkey
    Model_Monkey Well-Known Member
    I stand corrected. There is nearly a "one-click" way to get to the product page from the models page. It is just two-clicks, actually. Very happy about this.

On the models page, next to the model's name, click "tools", from the drop-down menu, click "edit product". You are exactly where you want to be.

Excellent.

adbinc likes this.
  15. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi everyone,

For those who haven't seen it yet, this week we have launched some updates to the Model Edit page.

As of this week you can access "tools" on the model edit page which will allow you to go directly to the 3D tools page and Create/Edit a Product.

upload_2018-12-6_11-4-51.png
    Hopefully with the return of these options we have saved you from having to go to the 3D Models page before being able to use these options.

Thank you all for waiting patiently :)

Mitch