Tutorials! What Do You Need? What Do You Know?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by virginia_gordon, Jan 3, 2018.

1. virginia_gordon
    virginia_gordon Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Hi Everyone,

Do you have any jewelry tutorials you have been looking for?

Do you have jewelry skills that would be ideal for tutorials? Or just some ideas?

Thanks for sharing!
    Virginia

2. tinyrightbrain
    tinyrightbrain Well-Known Member
    Hi --
    This isn't so much of a tutorial as it is just a photo and description of my setup for hand dyeing my nylon earrings for the ombre look. I find that it's sort of fun, and it's easy. The first photo shows the outdoor setup, composed mainly of odds and ends. I use a hotplate and an inexpensive pot. The stand is an old plastic food container with a piece of wood glued onto to bottom which is now the top. I use small pieces of wood about 1/4" thick to raise the level of the earrings as I go to get the color differences. Yes indeed, those are Lego blocks holding a chopstick in place to hang the earrings, and yes, they hang from dental floss :) The whole process probably takes no more than 15 minutes. I've used the iDye Poly from Jacquard and the Rit dyeMore for synthetics.
    The second photo shows a sample of the resulting earrings. These were done with the crimson iDye Poly. I use just 1/8 teaspoon of dye for 3/4 of the small pot of water.
    dyeing.jpg crimsoney.jpg

3. virginia_gordon
    Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

4. When I was trying to learn how to design jewelry for 3D printing, I had a hard time finding jewelry specific videos/tutorials. I eventually learned by making other types of items and piecing information together over time. I am now in the process of recording on demand videos specifically for those who want to learn how to design jewelry. The first one is posted on my website - fivepetalsstudio.com The second one should go up in the next week or so with many more to come.

5. virginia_gordon
    Amazing! thank you for sharing

6. Hello, I have some prior experience designing 3D models and am attempting to make jewelry. I could use some suggestions and advice towards what might be the best types of jewelry and what is most desired. Any input would be great, thank you.

virginia_gordon likes this.
  7. virginia_gordon
    Thanks @Rapidprototypevv! Rings and pendants are some of our most popular pieces of jewelry. In the meantime, I would recommend checking out the jewelry section of the blog for inspirations, spotlights, and tutorials.

Rapidprototypevv likes this.
  8. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Hi Virginia! I want a tutorial on how to MAKE MONEYYYYY! HAHAHA! :D

I know Shapeways doesn't publish sales numbers, so we can't find out from Shapeways, so what I'd like is a tutorial on how to do marketing research that tells us what niches are selling well when it comes to 3D printed products. :)

Frozenrain and Andrewsimonthomas like this.
  9. Thanks Virginia for the info!

Great place to start.

10. Frozenrain
    Frozenrain Well-Known Member
    Hi Virginia! I want a tutorial on how does the sort work. How can I make my design showed on the main page of every category ?

11. hello, what is the best program to design earrings?

12. UniverseBecoming
    I'd have to say the best program for doing earrings is Zbrush. :)

virginia_gordon likes this.
  13. Lenn03
    Lenn03 Member
    [QUOTE = "virginia_gordon, post: 220640, member: 648332"] Hola a todos,

¿Tienes algún tutorial de joyas que has estado buscando?

¿Tiene habilidades de joyería que serían ideales para tutoriales? ¿O solo algunas ideas?

¡Gracias por compartir!
    Virginia [/ QUOTE]
    holme llamo lenin y soy usuario nuevo soy joyero y estoy un poco estraviado, me gustaria saber si hay soporte en linea y a que horario gracias

14. Frozenrain
    French?

15. Lenn03
    Lenn03 Member
    Hola virginia gordon no tengo tutoriales pero si nesecita algo saber algo espesifico con mucho gusto hare uno para usted que desea aprender exactamente tiene alguna experiensa en joyeria aqui le envio u
    una imagen de mi trabajo si quiere saber mas bsucar en mi facebook royaltytriosdeboda.com.do

Attached Files:

16. southernnscale
    southernnscale Well-Known Member
    I wanted to know if this is printable with a mix of gold and silver! I haven't done any Rings yet and need to know what I can do with this piece!
    Ring3.jpg

17. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    No way to do this directly. What actually is printed is a wax master for casting, from then on it is conventional lost wax casting with no chance to mix metals. You would need to print separate rings in gold and silver and "somehow" get them joined yourself.

18. UniverseBecoming
    Hi Walter

Shapeways doesn't pint the two together like that but they can print them separately. You'd then need to add the two together yourself. Those balls would make things difficult. you would either need to find the balls ready made and solder or laser weld them to the gold base or you would need to make the balls as the rounded tops of bars that go down inside and connect to the other silver parts. In which case, you would need to make the gold shank in three sections and make it so the silver parts were embedded into the gold sections and everything laser welded or soldered together.

19. UniverseBecoming
    It's funny you should ask about this because just a few minutes ago I read this,

"3) Bi-metal: Bi-metal casting, also known as co-casting, is used when the piece requires two or more metals to be joined. Depending on the metals, low or high temperature casting can produce any desired shape. Unlike other techniques, our bi-metal castings significantly reduce the visibility of any seams that can tarnish or oxidize."

I was looking at this page in my endless search for good casting partners and went back and found it in my history.

I have no idea whatsoever what in the hell they are talking about! HAHA! :D I've never heard of it before. I'll have to look into it.

20. Frozenrain
    I think casting two or more metals to be joined is possible as long as the melting points of these metals are different.To cast two or more metals,cast the metal with highest melting point first and then the lower until the lowest.Every time you cast the next metal.Put the previous metal(which has higher melting point) in the mold and cast the second metal with it inside the mold. Is this way possible? I never tried this way and I don't know whether this method exists. Just my imagination.:D