We’re now at a few months after New Years so let’s look back at those resolutions that we promised to keep. We have the typical suspects: read more, meditate often, build healthy habits. Making progress in those areas? Cool! Here at Shapeways we’re pretty cool too, we’re thinking of introducing you to something else you might want to do in 2018: Get started with 3D printing.
Here’s a few tips on how to get started making with 3D in 2018.
1. Give yourself an easy project to start with. The sky is the limit when it comes to what you can create with 3D printing. However, when you’re first beginning to learn this skill, it may be best to think of a design that’s easier to create. A great way to do this is to find a simple silhouette and use our pendant creator to bring it to life, or for something more complex, consider watching some tutorials and get started with OnShape.
2. Set aside some time each week dedicated to 3D modeling. Even if it’s just an hour a week, setting aside time dedicated to learning each week can take you a long way. Plus, once you get started, it’s easy to get into it and keep going! If you’re a beginner check out our recommended introductory 3D design softwares with an easy learning curve. Pro-tip: Schedule this time as a repeat event on your google calendar, so you’ve always got a reminder to get you going.
3. Get active on the Shapeways forums. Our forums are the heart of the Shapeways community. If you’re ever looking for a source of inspiration or have questions about getting started, you will without a doubt find your answers on this section of our website.
4. Open up a shop. We’ve noticed that it becomes a little bit more difficult to forget about your New Years Resolutions when you incentivize yourself with making money. Having a single product in your shop is a great start to earning a little extra cash for the weekends… and you may find yourself motivated to add more to your collection over time!
6. Keep an eye on our Meetup page and attend local events in your area. Meetups are a great way to meet people who have similar interests – it’s also an
opportunity to connect directly with employees at Shapeways and learn hands on about what’s possible.
5. Be a Boss. Set the vision for your goals and don’t let up. You, and only you are in charge of the outcome of 2016. If you set your mind and time to accomplish something, you will achieve it!
Learning something new can be tough, but luckily at Shapeways, we are armed with an amazing community of makers to get you through the learning curve. If you have ideas, now is the time to bring them to life. And don’t forget about all the amazing materials we have to offer. Who knows what new things we’ll come up with in 2018!? So stick to those resolutions and it’s never too late to add 3D printing to your list!