Open your Shop in a Few Easy Steps
If you can 3D model, you can make money sharing your designs with the world! In this tutorial we'll get you started selling in these three steps.
1. Create your Shapeways Shop
- Log In: Log in to Shapeways and head to the Sell tab (or create an account if you haven't already.)
- Choose Pick a fun name for your shop that reflects your brand and attracts your target customer. If your product line caters to a certain niche, don't be bashful about calling it out.
- Shop URL - Pick a unique web address that matches your shop name so people can recognize you on the site and find your shop. Once created, this URL cannot be changed. Your shop URL becomes shapeways.com/shops/YOURSHOP
Setting up your Shapeways Shop
Visit Shop Settings under the Sell tab to customize your shop branding, logo, description, and more. Shoppers want to buy products from people they can relate to and have stories behind their products. This is your chance to share your story!
- Banner - Think of your banner as a place to express visually what your shop is all about. This visual asset sits atop your shop and is a great place for branding. The image pixel size used is 960 x 125 px.
- Description - Tell the world what your shop is all about! Introduce yourself and the story of your products. People love hearing about what inspires designers.
- Logo - Your shop logo, the icon of your business, appears on your shop page. This is a rectangular format with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
- Google Analytics - Track shopper behavior and product views to optimize sales further. Add your Google Analytics identifier code here. Learn more about why this is a good idea and how to do it best.
- Shop Sections - Model a variety of things? Organize them by theme or category. Add organization to feature different products and help shoppers browse through your shop.
Add products to your shop
If you don't have products in your shop yet, first upload a new design.
Once you have already uploaded designs to Shapeways for prototyping & printing for yourself:
- Hover over the uploaded model that you wish to offer for sale and click 'Edit Model'. Then, check the boxes to 'Display to the public' and 'Offer for sale to others'. By default, your models are private, so this step makes it visible to the public.
- Select the best materials to offer the product for sale in.
- Curate, merchandise and tag your products. Sales are much easier to make when the right people see the right products. Make it easy on them by tagging all appropriate words and dividing your shop into sensible sections.
- Set markup and price your models.
- Don't clutter up your shop with "default renders" of unrealized products. If you have great photographs next to grey renders it erodes the overall integrity of the look of your shop. Get a version of the product for yourself to photograph before offering the model for sale, it's worth it-- products with photos sell 10x those that don't!
- Sit back and collect your loot! Shapeways takes care of distribution and fulfilment, you just worry about designing great product, we'll take care of the rest!
Get more help in our Forums