Introduction to 3D Design & Printing for Kids
In this 3D printing and modeling course, kids (and adults) learn how to design their own robot for 3D printing! You'll learn Blender, a professional-level, open-source 3D modeling software, working with shapes to create a 3D model of a robot, and preparing and printing your robot with Shapeways.
We loved working with Youth Digital to bring this 3-part course to you- for free! We hope you love learning about 3D modeling and 3D printing as much as we loved doing it!
Let's get started.
GETTING STARTED WITH BLENDER
In this video, you will get comfortable working in Blender. You'll learn how to:
- Download and install Blender on your computer
- Navigate efficiently within the 3D Workspace
- Move, Scale, and Rotate 3D objects along the X-Y-Z axes
3D MODELING 101
In this video, you will model a robot from scratch. You'll learn how to:
- Add new types of shapes to your workspace
- Copy, paste, and adjust simple shapes to create variations of those shapes
- Combine variations of different shapes to create a more complex Robot
OFF TO THE PRINTERS
In this video, you will prepare your model for 3D Printing. You'll learn how to:
- Check your model's printability and scale it down to the size you want
- Export and Upload your Model to Shapeways.com
- Choose your print material and order your first 3D print
If you enjoyed these tutorials, check out this 3D Printing & Modeling Course by Youth Digital. The online course teaches kids how to create an entire digital world from scratch, including advanced 3D modeling and printing topics such as how to sculpt, texture, arrange and render your own 3D creations.
Youth Digital is an Official Education Partner of Shapeways and support Youth Digital's mission to help children “Create Awesome!” by empowering children to be digital creators, designers, animators, programmers, and developers. Learn more about Youth Digital.
Get more help in our Forums