About this Product
• Must-see movie at the bottom of the page!
• Already tested to snugly fit Sony tripods and most other brands that use the same locking mechanism!
• Moderately priced (not too expensive :-) even when printed in Gold Plated Stainless Steel (my metal of choice :-)
• Comes with an extra screw fastener (with an easy-turn butterfly head, not found on any of the cheap, mass produced Quick Release Plate varieties) and five 1 mm washers.
• I originally made it for my friend Tony Moran who lost his and challenged me to model one for him, complete with a fitting screw fastener; I told him that I would happily give it a try, providing I find the old time machinist's screw thread gauge that I bought a few years ago in a flea market (my wife always complaints that I collect all kind of useless things :-), without which, "no way, Jose!", I won't be able to measure and/or match the thread in the universal camera tripod nut. Well, to make a long story short, I found it; and I've modeled Tony's plate using the one from my Sony tripod as reference. Then I had the brilliant idea (I always have those :-) to engrave Tony's e-mail address on the back, just in case he loses it again; and the rest is, as they say, history!
• I uploaded the model at Shapeways and ordered a print in Summer Green Strong and Flexible (when it comes to picking up colors, green seems to be Tony's color of choice).
• Last week I received the the 3d printed model from Shapeways; before calling Tony, to let him in on the good news, I confess that I quite anxiously opened the package and checked to see if everything fit my Sony tripod and camcorder. Well, let me tell you that, to my pleasant surprise, It fit perfectly, and that statement could very well be extended to the screw; with only 2 minor exceptions: 1. The screw (that actually made my day when, on my first try, it matched very smoothly the thread in the camcorder) was a few millimeters too long (two washers that I kept around in a drawer, specifically for an ugly situation just like this, corrected it, almost instantly :-); 2. When securing the plate on the tripod, the 2 mm wall (4 mm is actually needed but this will almost quadruple the cost! ) has a tendency to flex inwards (no wonder Shapeways calls this material "Strong and Flexible"! :-) under the locking lever's tremendous pressure. Tony likes it very much like this, but I suggested to him to let me strengthen the walls with either automotive body-filler or plumber's epoxy putty, two substances that I always keep around my atelier and put them to good use when fixing things and/or building models by hand; yes, I still do this kind of dirty work more often than you'd think, even though I now have twelve extremely smart little calculators; they do most of my work, all by them-elves :-)
• Now, to make the story really short, I am going to let you in on the latest news around here: yesterday afternoon, around tea o'clock, I practically lost my own tripod plate in the grass, in a nearby park by the East River, where I went to videotape an expat family of Canadian geese teaching their offspring how to swim; so, guess what, now? I've just improved my original design by adding several strategically placed reinforcing ribs, to strengthen the 2mm walls and compensate for the excessive flexibility of Shapeways materials, added a spare screw fastener (with an easy-turn butterfly head), five 1mm washers and my e-mail address on the back!; I am ordering now, one for myself, in Summer Magenta Strong and Flexible; not that I am particularly crazy about this color, but just because it's a well known scientific fact that Magenta is very visible in the grass. And folks, to make my story even shorter: that's it!; here you have, in a nutshell, the entire, 100% genuine, story of Tony Moran's Tripod Quick Release Plate.
• P.S. And if you ever lose your own tripod plate in the grass and are terribly in need of a good looking, durable replacement, in any of the "in vogue" colors SHAPEWAYS always has to offer, just click on the "CREATE YOUR OWN" button and fill out the easy to understand form. I'll engrave your e-mail on it in just a jiffy! And, pay good attention to this: I'll only charge you, a one time only, easy and very affordable payment of only $1.99 !!! :-)
• ONE MORE THING BEFORE YOU HIT THAT BUTTON!
Please be advised that the events described in the story above, while 100% accurate, were, in fact, a scientific experiment :-) Of course, one could very easily get a Quick Release Plate replacement for less than $20.00 (including S&H) on the Internet (see http://www.tripodquickrelease.com/Sony_Quick_Releases.htm @ http://www.tripodquickrelease.com and many others), even a small kid knows it!; but, if you're a sucker and fall for that, it is not going to come in a splendid summer color or the steel and/or even the glass of your own choice!; and, most importantly: nobody is going to e-mail you, ever; if you lose it in the grass! :-)
• Copyright ©2010 Ovidiu Opresco
1.917 w x 1.876 d x 1.809 h
4.87 w x 4.766 d x 4.596 h