This Universal Equinoctial Ring Dial 2
is a portable and self-orientating sundial. You can see how a similar dial works: http://www.sunwatchmaker.com/instructions.php
This is an improved version of a previous model:http://www.shapeways.com/model/132928/universal_ring_dial.html
You'll receive five parts
unconnected and undyed. Follow these instructions
1. Clean the parts with cold water and soft brushing to remove support material remaining from the 3d printing.
2. Dip the parts in cold tea for a couple of hours. Holes will get more dyed because of the support material trapped in them. The slider part doesn't have marks, but with the dying will get as yellowish as the other parts.
3. Paint with black ink the marks. Let dry the ink and then remove it with a wet sheet. This way, ink only remains in the marks. In the photo the slider and some zones of the rings weren't inked so they maintained the yellow tone because tea dyes all no flat surfaces. The hour ring has marks on both sides, but only one needs to be dyed.
4. Enter the slider with a little pressure through the slit of the central (month) bar. It's only possible over June and July marks. Then move the slider to the desired month and day mark. Each mark represents two days.
5. Deform lightly the meridian ring (the bigger one) in order to insert the hour ring. Be sure that both rings have their dyed faces on the same side when in folded position.
6. Deform again the latitude ring to put the central bar in position. Check the photo for the right orientation.
7. Finally, insert the eyelet through the "jasolo fecit" part of the meridian ring and displace it to the latitude value of your location. To improve the sliding of the eyelet, you can clean the path with a stick before the insertion (again the support material).
You can purchase the individual parts
in case you need any replacement:
- Meridian ring: http://www.shapeways.com/model/185486/universal_ring_dial_2__meridian_ring_part_.html
- Hour ring: http://www.shapeways.com/model/185480/universal_ring_dial_2__hour_ring_part_.html
- Central Bar: http://www.shapeways.com/model/185737/universal_ring_dial_2__central_bar_part_.html
- Slider: http://www.shapeways.com/model/165846/universal_ring_dial_2__slider_part_.html
- Eyelet: http://www.shapeways.com/model/185479/universal_ring_dial_2__eyelet_part_.html