White nylon plastic with a matte finish and slight grainy feel.
About this Product
This is the MazeRoll!
A registered design (reg.no. 002144584-0001).
Size (assembled): approx. round 45 mm x 141 mm
Weight: approx. 90 grams
Youtube video of puzzle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEPhkSSyK4U
Youtube video of assembly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGzAtHFIB-w
Review for this puzzle: http://mypuzzlecollection.blogspot.nl/2013/01/mazeroll.html
The aim of the puzzle is to bring the ball through the maze from one end of the cylinder to the other end.
Added to this challenge is the situation that this maze is a kind of maze within a maze; because the cylindrical disk parts in between the ends can rotate but mostly not fully (due to end stop restrictions).
Also, this is not 1 puzzle; the cylindrical disk parts can be arranged in several combinations to create an easy or more difficult puzzle.
Find the overview of configurations here: http://www.mfave.nl/en/webshop/puzzels-26/MazeRoll-59/?pg=download_preview
Create the puzzle as follows:
1) Break off the puzzle parts (like with model kits)
2) Remove all (semi-)loose 3D printing processing powder. Advise is to use the stainless maze path scraper to do this: http://www.shapeways.com/model/848686/maze-path-scraper.html
3) Use a file and/or sandpaper to create an exact fit of the parts (as this is a technical puzzle, the print is designed on the narrow side. As it is easier to remove material to get an exact fit than to add material). When needed, use a drill of round 12 mm to widen the holes of the cilinder disk parts to fit around the central axis.
4) Rinse off the puzzle with cold water (you can safely do this as the puzzle is nylon PA66 material), and dry to air
5) Lubricate the contact surfaces to have a smooth rotation in the puzzle (use grease like Vaseline for the lubrication)
6) Drop a 1/8 inch stainless steel ball in the puzzle. This ball is not included in the print, but you can have this free from me by contacting me
7) Assemble the puzzle
Please know that the 3-D printing process of Shapeways has tolerances, which can lead to small imperfections.
If you're not used or skilled to building puzzles: assembled products can be bought at http://www.mfave.nl/en/webshop/maze_puzzles-27
This puzzle is not suitable as a toy, but intended for the serious puzzler.