This is an experiment to create a 3D model using 123D Catch
by Autodesk. The input to the process was this video
. The output of the process was among others this 3D animation
The Shapeways 3D model was made by perfomring the following steps.
1) Shoot a video
by circling the photo model several times and making sure that all relevant parts are capture. The first shoot went wrong, as 123D Catch could not stitch the hair at the back of the head. This problem was solved by sprinkling confetti on the hair.
2) Use the Free Video to JPG Converter
by DVDVideoSoft to extract 50 .jpg pictures from the video.
3) Use the 123D Catch
software from Autodesk to create a photo scene.
4) Export the photo scene to an .obj file.
5) Do some cleanup on that mesh (filling up the bottom), using e.g. Rhino
6) Upload the 3D model to Shapeways
7) (And then buy and/or sell the model as 3D print).
Read more at the Twisty Puzzles Forum