biik parts iPhone mount v2.01 with wear compensation for 1 1/8" steerer tube
Ok, its good. It looks fragile, it really isnt.
This must be one of the neatest solutions for mounting your iPhone to your bike. The mount is robust, safe and clicks on and off with a 60 degree twist meaning that you can quickly and easily remove your phone to grab a coffee, or pick up a call.
The mount is suitable for any bike with a 1 1/8" steerer tube, and is simple to install:
1. undo your bike's top cap above the stem - usually an allen key is required
2. add the 3D printed spacer included with the mount - you can just replace your top spacer if you have one.
3. replace the top cap, and do it up pretty tight. it doesn't matter if it's not straight.
4. Install the threaded lock ring into the case, making sure it aligns and clips into the captive ring inside the mechanism.* Open the hinge to allow the lock ring to screw up, and close the hinge again to locate it at the first notch.
4. Put your iPhone in the case for strength and click the case onto the spacer by rotating it clockwise.
5. take your phone out again, but leave the iPhone case on the bike. Loosen the top cap, and straighten your mount up
6. tighten the top cap completely. you're done. you can click the case on and off as you need.
The spacer remains on the bike permanently, and the iPhone case clicks on and off as required. The case may be initially loose - you can open the hinge and tighten the lock ring to improve the fit. This means that over time as the material wears, you can tighten the ring to compensate. Once you get it right, you may only need to move it once or twice during the life of the product.
*Remember, the lock ring has a left hand thread, so to tighten it you rotate it anti-clockwise.
**make sure the steerer tube extends at least 3mm (1/8") past the bottom of the 3D printed spacer. you may need to lower the stem to achieve this, by removing changing the spacers between the stem and the headset. If the steerer tube does not extent above the stem or top spacer, it's best to also order the biikparts flanged spacer. (see diagrams)
***The iPhone case includes a hinged panel to allow the phone to slide in and then be locked in place. The hinge is printed in one piece - there is no assembly required. The hinge will be quite stiff initially, as it will be full of uncured powder. this powder can be washed, blown or simply worked out of the mechanism before you install the product on your bike.
Use with apps such as STRAVA, Cyclemeter or RoadBike
>>feel free to contact me if you have any issues.