IMPORTANT: production of this model in full-color via Shapeways is temporarily suspended as I work to build a version that they will print reliably - and possibly a new pose.
In the mean time, you can order a smaller version (with optional upscaling) through Sculpteo, a competing 3d printing service.
This is the second version of my Discord model. In response to Shapeways' retroactive statement that the initial model was unprintable/unshippable due to material stress from the limbs and wings, I have modified my approach.
The updated version ships in six pieces, which are safely assembled (with the aid of connectors printed in strong and flexible plastic) by the end user. Make sure to order the connectors, which are a separate item because they need to be printed in flexible plastic, too! Otherwise, you're going to have problems putting it together. Alternatively, you can skip the connectors and use super glue if you are confident you can align everything yourself.
Click here to order the model and necessary connectors together. +
The statue is approximately 16.5cm (or about six inches) high when assembled.
- Step 1: Insert the end of the large connector with outward-facing prongs into the neck.
- Step 2: Attach the arms to the body. They will be loose - the long prongs of the connector you just attached to the head will secure them once the head is attached.
- Step 3: Attach the head/connector assembly to the body, being careful to ensure that the connector's prongs hook into the arms' loops. The head and arms should now be secure (although minor looseness is unavoidable).
- Step 4: Attach the wings using the small connectors.
- Step 6: Enjoy your new draconequus!
For a more permanent connection, try gluing the connectors in place during assembly.