I have started experimenting with using this Polyester tape (http://www.laserbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=606) for my Replicator 1 heated bed based on threads I saw on printer forums. I prefer it over the Kapton because
- It is much more resistant to tearing when removing parts after build, and when getting off the roll
- 6" width can cover heated bed in 1 strip
- Similar price when you compare square inches per roll
- Good adhesion when combined with the miracle adhesion improver (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28787)
- Easier to remove than stock Kapton
I am printing small to medium sized parts in ABS with a bed temp of 50C and acceptable adhesion. This greatly reduces melt deformation of the features directly on the bed layer.
For small parts with little bed contact on the first layer, I add a 0.25mm thick base in CAD to increase the contact surface area of the first layer for better bonding. This print base is fairly easily peeled off the part after printing.
- Order the tape @ laserbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=606
- Remove old tape
- Clean bed with acetone and lint free cloth
- Use this installation jig (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:27518) to install new tape
- Clean tape with acetone and lint free cloth
- Apply a thin coat of the miracle adhesion improver or equivalent (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28787)
- Print your stuff
- Carefully remove with Cricut Spatula - (http://www.amazon.com/Cricut-29-0099-Spatula-Tool/dp/B000NP1ESO) This thing is awesome! NOTE: Debur the edge of the spatula with 600 grit or finer sandpaper to protect against tearing tape or scratching build plate.
- Enjoy more printing and less retaping.
UPDATE 02/23/2013: I have been using this for almost a week and I love it. I have already had parts stuck on such that the old kapton tape would have been damaged to the point of needing replacement. I bet I get at least three times the life out of this red polyester tape compared to what I was seeing with kapton. The combination of Aquanet and this tape seems to be a winning combo for the small to medium sized parts I tend to do.Rigid Polyester Tape for Replicator Heated Bed
is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike