Product Manager, 3D Printing Materials
Location: New York, NY
Shapeways is the leading 3D printing marketplace and community that transforms digital designs into physical products for designers and their customers all over the world. Shapeways fundamentally changes how products are made and by whom, giving anyone the ability to quickly and affordably turn ideas into real products. At the core of our business is our material portfolio: with each material we bring to market, we open up a new set of possibilities for design and innovation. Precious metals enabled jewelers to create high end pieces, ceramics enabled designers to create home decor, acrylic enabled hobbyists to create endless possibilities in miniatures. What will you enable?
As a Materials Product Manager you will work closely with the Product, Technology, Supply Chain, and Manufacturing teams as well as leading manufacturing partners and research organizations to predict demand, launch new materials, improve existing materials, and monitor the success of our materials portfolio.
- You’re a resourceful and pragmatic problem solver who thrives in the face of ambiguity. You can use data to make an argument, but are comfortable prioritizing and making tradeoffs with limited information
- You’re a fast-paced thinker who can quickly adjust their perspective when new information is presented
- You always have the end user's experience in mind and have strong product intuition
- You are endlessly fascinated by new technology and can explain complex technical concepts simply and clearly
- You see many solutions to a problem, but can choose the most pragmatic solution and explain it clearly to team members, making the effort to appreciate their needs and desires
- Evaluate new materials and manufacturing processes to assess product-market fit
- Monitor success of current materials portfolio
- Develop materials strategy
- Manage external relationships with material development partners
- Support community material education
- Define and evangelize the vision for the future of physical products at Shapeways
- Coordinate across the company for successful new material launches
- Lead internal “Exploratory” and “Proof of Concept” development projects
- 2 + years experience in Product Management, Project Management or New Product Development in related field
- A history of launching successful products or campaigns
- Ability to understand the physical properties and operational ramifications of material decisions
- An appreciation for high quality materials
- Knowledge of SQL, 3D Design Software, or 3D printer technology is a plus
- Experience working at a startup is a plus
What We Offer
- A driven, motivated, and talented team that believes in working hard and reaping the rewards
- Laid-back office environment in the heart of Manhattan and a tinkerer’s dream lab at Long Island City factory
- Competitive compensation and excellent benefits
Send all of the following to email@example.com:
- Cover letter explaining what your favorite 3D product is, and why.
- Resume in a standard format (.txt, .doc, .pdf) and/or link to online career profile (e.g. LinkedIn)
- Links to online portfolio, sample projects, blog, or anything that you think is applicable.