Principal Database Engineer
Location: Manhattan, NYC
Shapeways is a fast-growing, global startup, with the goal of making 3D printing more accessible and affordable. Everything we make is custom, tailored to our customer's wishes. Want to help deliver excellence to our growing community? You'll be the one making sure that every customer order is printed to perfection.
Shapeways is hiring a Principal Database Engineer - this position will be end responsible for all database technology and data modelling for Shapeways 3D Printing Marketplace, API, and Additive Manufacturing ERP system.
- Own the architecture for the data assets – logical and physical data models, real time and data warehouse relational and non-relational databases, and data security
- Write and maintain high-quality code with emphasis on security, performance, and scalability
- Define system architecture and technology strategies, best practices, guidelines and standards that balance short term and long term objectives
- Review changes in code, queries and the environment to determine impacts on system performance
- Operate across multiple functional teams interacting with Product Management, Development, Quality, and Operations
- Drive planning and architecture roadmap creation
- Contribute to software design, development discussions
- Perform technical analysis to present pros and cons of various solutions to problems
- Mentor team members and share knowledge to enhance team function
- Ensure data availability for all business units at Shapeways
- Leading the on-going design and implementation of logical and physical data models
- Ensure that both the physical data model and database technology support scalable, highly available computing (e.g. clustering, active/passive, disaster recovery)
- Leading the on-going design and implementation of big data technology assets, including data warehouses
- 3+ years of applicable Database Architect experience
- 8+ years of experience designing and maintaining relational database systems
- Expert with MYSQL 5.5 Percona (other versions welcome)
- Expert with Unix/Linux
- Expert with physical storage hardware and software configurations
Send all of the following to email@example.com:
- Cover letter.
- Resume in a standard format (.txt, .doc, .pdf) and/or link to online career profile (e.g. LinkedIn)
- Links to online portfolio, sample projects, blog, or anything that you think is applicable.