Manhattan and Long Island City, New York, NY
Are you an organized tinkerer interested in how everyday objects are made? Have you been excited about what 3D printing could mean for the future of personal production? We’re looking for a sharp, innovative doer to delve into the cutting edge technology of 3D printing and help build a portfolio of materials to empower and delight our community of makers to bring their product ideas to fruition.
- You’re resourceful and pragmatic. You love when the solution to a complex technical problem is just waiting on the shelf at a hardware store.
- You’re a methodical engineer that approaches complex problems scientifically, carefully documenting and testing options, and aiming for efficiency and scalability.
- You quickly familiarize yourself with new and unproven technologies, becoming expert in how to put them to use in collaboration with your partners across teams.
- You explain complex technical concepts simply and clearly to customers and team members alike, making the effort to appreciate their needs and desires.
As the creative, pragmatic engineer within our Product Development team, you’ll rapidly prototype, refine, and introduce new materials and innovative improvements.
- Work closely with Materials Product Managers as well as Industrial Engineering, Production, Supply Chain and Design Evangelism teams to develop new finishes, processes, and materials.
- Translate customer-focused product roadmap goals into achievable research projects, including definition of scope, project goals, success criteria, budgets, and schedules.
- Clearly communicating project status, risks, and scope creep
- Develop and implement design and materials experiments, life testing, etc.
- Evaluate new technologies, processes, and finishes for potential inhouse manufacturing.
- Degree in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or similar. Advanced degrees preferred.
- Strong skills or relevant industry experience in rapid prototyping, 3D printing or materials and process development.
What We Offer
- A driven, motivated, and talented team that believes in working hard and reaping the rewards.
- Laid-back office environment in the heart of Manhattan AND a tinkerer’s dream lab in our Factory of the Future in Long Island City.
- Competitive compensation and excellent benefits.
Send all of the following to email@example.com:
- Cover note explaining the single most important improvement we should make to our portfolio of materials: http://shapeways.com/materials
- Resume in a standard format (.txt, .doc, .pdf) and/or link to online career profile (e.g. LinkedIn)
- Links to online portfolio, sample projects, etc.