Director of Operations
Long Island City, NY
As Director of Operations you will help bring 3D printing out of the prototyping era and into the future by building full-scale, lean manufacturing operations that will produce an ever growing number of unique products. You and your team will reduce lead-time, increase quality and take on new production technologies. You will drive down costs per product so our customers can get their creations at a lower price, and in turn, 3D printing becomes a means for personal manufacturing for all.
You are responsible for our factory of the future in Long Island City, Queens, New York and will:
- Drive quality, lead-time and costs
- Scale the factory to meet ever increasing sales
- Ensure highest safety standards for all team members
- Manage and train the LIC team
- Manage the P&L and budget of the factory
- Plan for and manage the expansion of the factory in LIC
- Research, test, spec out, install new equipment
- Ensure facility is up to code in terms of safety, environmental standards and OSHA, train team and make certain that all workers are adhering to said code
- Track and analyze factory quality, lead time and cost
- Implement lean manufacturing in LIC facility, reducing costs and maximizing optimization
- Utilize six sigma techniques to measure, analyze, control and improve processes, and reduce process variation
- Design flow planning to improve processes
- Introduce new products and new materials to new flows
In this role you will be one of the key players helping Shapeways grow by creating a mature, world-class production environment. You will report to the Global Director of Production and Distribution.
- A Bachelor of Science in mechanical or industrial engineering or other STEM course
- 10+ years of experience of managing production teams
- Has implemented lean manufacturing
- Has utilized six sigma to improve processes
- Excellent understanding of the analytics of running a manufacturing facility
- Is a leader
- Excels at building high performing teams fast
- Driver of change, pro-active, independent and mature
- Analytical, process-driven thinker
- Accountable for results achieved
- Great communicator, diplomatic, able to empower employees.
- Masters in Engineering/Physics
Occasional travel to sister plants to share best practice learnings.
Why join our team?
Shapeways is breaking new ground in the field of 3D printing. With our website and marketplace for designers, our goal is to give everyone access to the revolution of additive manufacturing. This isn’t your typical web business – we have a physical product at the back end. If you’d like to work in a dynamic, collaborative, respectful environment where colleagues share ideas and encourage each other to think creatively, Shapeways is just what you’re looking for. Fun is also part of our DNA – a sense of humor is a must! You’ll also have the coolest desk toys anywhere.