Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Hardening steel
Search Search  
Hardening steel [message #48573] Thu, 17 May 2012 10:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Maschinenhauer  is currently offline Maschinenhauer
Go to all my models
Hi,

I received my first order and was planning to harden it to about 55 HRC. I had someone analyze the material and this it what it mainly contains:

Cu: 43,5 %
Fe: 42 %
Cr: 10 %
Sn: 4 %

I don't know how much carbon it contains but I was told that Carbon is added to the percentage of iron or the highest overall, but that doesn't matter in this case. Right now I have already 27 HRC but that's not enough. I know that Shapeways products are supposed to be for decorative purposes, but if someone knows how to harden an alloy with that much copper I'd be thankful.

What I really liked was the fact that it is easy to turn, producing very short chips! The outer surface looks like a sintered product but the inside is not porous.

One thing I noticed on the website was that the hardness is supposed to be 26-30 HRC and the safety datasheet says that it is 20-25 HRC. Since I measured 27 I suppose the website is more up to date.

I was sure that I read on this website that this steel can be hardened to 55-60 HRC but maybe that was 420 SS without bronze

Thanks

Sebastian

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Post production polishing?
Next Topic:Finishing WSF material with plastic casting?
Goto Forum:
   Go