Home » Support » 3D Applications » 3d printing of metal to make injection molding mold?
Search Search  
3d printing of metal to make injection molding mold? [message #45993] Mon, 26 March 2012 12:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar davidnhutch  is currently offline davidnhutch
Go to all my models
Hi

We are discussing with a plastic injection molding company regarding making our next product. In order to do plastic injection molding they first machine a steel mold, and then inject the plastic. Making the steel mold will be costly for us. I wonder if we could 3d print a metal mold and then give it to them for injecting plastic. Of course it may be a different metal and not be as durable as steel, but this is ok as it is just a limited run. Have you done anything like that before?

Of course, the injection molding company wants us to use their mold-making facilities but I think this will be cheaper. However I'm not sure that this can be done, that's why I'm asking.

I expect the bumpiness/roughness will be higher and the mold may not last as long as a steel machined one, but bumpiness and life doesn't matter much for us as this is a limited-run (several thousand units) prototype.

Thanks
David

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Printing in Colour from Netfabb Studio
Next Topic:Printing surfaces from Maple?
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.