Home » Support » 3D Design » Super Perler Pegboards
Search Search  
Super Perler Pegboards [message #44132] Wed, 15 February 2012 23:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar rxninja  is currently offline rxninja
Go to all my models
Background: So there are these plastic beads that you can make art from. You put them one by one on pegboards, then you iron them and they fuse together. The process is called bead spriting. There's a pretty active community of people who make these (usually doing awesome, retro video game sprites and whatnot) and we use cheap, plastic pegboards from Perler to do it. The problem is that ironing directly over the pegboard tends to warp them pretty quickly, so we have to keep buying these interlocking boards over and over again (or do this crazy, high-risk masking tape method to remove the sprites from the pegboards before ironing).

What I'm thinking: Since plastic really isn't suited to be ironed on and it's also a pain in the butt to own several dozen of these 29x29 peg pegboards, I thought, "Wouldn't it be really cool to make one that's the size of, say, 5 boards by 5 boards and made out of a heat-resistant substance?" Enter Shapeways, where I think this might be possible.

Where I'm at: I know nothing about 3D modeling. I'm a graduate student (not in the arts), so I think I can get 3DS Max or Maya for free, but where would I even start? I'd need to get the dimensions exactly right to be a perfect replica of a single pegboard, then copy it to turn it into a jumbo pegboard. There's some fine detail in there, so I don't know how accurate I could really be with the various materials available. I could really use some guidance or hand-holding in making this happen.

For reference, you can see examples of what we do over at http://beadsprites.reddit.com.

To see what I'm trying to recreate in metal, check out this product page http://perler.eksuccessbrands.com/Product/2+Large+Square+Peg boards.aspx#. The final result would be like 25 of those put together in a 5x5 arrangement. I don't have more exact dimensions than what's on that page, though I could measure what I've got.

I appreciate any and all help that I can get on this one. Thanks, everyone!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Blackberry phone cover
Next Topic:Incorrect volumes for shapeways product. (resolved :o)
Goto Forum:
   Go