Home » Support » 3D Printing » Lens moulds
Search Search  
Lens moulds [message #37277] Mon, 24 October 2011 22:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar wxs  is currently offline wxs
Go to my shop
Hi,

I'd like to use Shapeways to print moulds for some lens prototypes I'm working on. The curvature is fairly subtle (say a 20-40 micron height difference from highest to lowest point). I imagine that even FUD is too imprecise for that if I build with the lens facing "up" in the z-direction, as according to this:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=rview&th=6108 &goto=32610

the layers are 31 microns thick.

I could, however, rotate my mould 90 degrees, so that the precision that matters is on the x-y axes.

What kind of accuracy is there in the x-y axes? I don't imagine that the minimum feature size is the correct number for this, as that speaks to the ability of the material to maintain a small ridge. Rather I want to know how precisely it will match my desired curvature. The surface will be gradually varying, so there are no fine ridges.

Does anyone have any input?

Thanks.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Is this accurate?
Next Topic:Printing multiple objects (stupid question)
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.