|Excel/CSV export/import for the product inventory page [message #27100] Sun, 08 May 2011 07:37 UTC
I would like to propose an Excel/CSV export/import (download/upload) functionality for the product inventory page.|
Questions and comments in this thread, please. You may vote for this proposal here.
The product inventory page is basically a primitive spreadsheet with VERY limited functionality. As repeatedly mentioned in the forums, maintaining more than a few items in this pseudo-spreadsheet is a nightmare.
The proposed export/import functionality would allow show owners to download their product inventory and load into an Excel spreadsheet for offline use, enabling all well-established spreadsheet functionality, like
- calculations (USD <-> EUR, ex. VAT <-> incl. VAT, etc.)
- sorting (move shop items from the bottom to the top)
- bulk enabling/disabling materials or products
- what-have-you ...
The modified spreadsheet file would then be saved (in CSV-format), re-uploaded and the shop with all products would be updated in one shot.
Possible import errors would be reported in real time after upload (no email, please!!!)
This very un-cool solution
- is comparably easy to implement and does not require a lot of fancy web-site/AJAX-programming
- is easy to use for the majority of people who do not have API-programming skills
- enables every shop owner to maintain his products in his preferred manner
Discussions over slowness, markup calculation weirdness, scrollbars etc. pp. would become obsolete.
Community members may even start sharing some of their Excel macros or alike.