Home » Support » 3D Printing » Overlapping Geometry
Search Search  
Overlapping Geometry [message #22009] Thu, 30 December 2010 23:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
I have had loads of models printed from shapeways and they all include overlapping geometry, each object is solid but they intersect.

I am trying to get some tiny parts produced, 0.3mm wall thickness, Shapeways don't do this but Printapart do, although at a much greater cost which is why a use shapeways for the main models.

Anyway to my point, it says on the printapart website:

"Avoid overlapping geometries: these occur when a feature is created by making a separate piece, or "shell," that has a portion of its shape buried in another piece. A common example is the posts on jewelry when they're created as individual pins, with the base of each post buried into the jewelry. To save yourself the possibility of having to pay to redo your job, unite everything into a single shell before you submit it."

http://www.printapart.com/technology/tips.html

Why is this a problem when it isn't for Shapeways?

Cheers,

Jack

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Sweating/Brazing Stainless?
Next Topic:Best material to mimic aluminum with knurling?
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.