Home » Support » 3D Printing » How would you print that?
Search Search  
How would you print that? [message #20212] Mon, 08 November 2010 07:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi all,
I have done a model called Ring'n'Roll, basically two nested rings that can roll one inside the other, and I was wondering how to position the 2 moving parts in the stl file before printing.
Actually, for the initial model the regular Ring'nRoll I turned the internal ring of 90°. My goal was to minimized the area of contact between the two rings, to avoid they get fused (the thickness is 2 mm and the clearance 0.75). I already ordered it in Alumide in this position.
But I am now wondring if, depending on the printing direction, there could not be a deformation that could occur differently on each ring, and prevent them from moving freely.

So for my next model (not ordered yet), the Ring'n'Roll with Holes I decided to keep the 2 rings lying flat on the horizontal surface.

See the automatically generated thumbnails on these models, or this rendering:
index.php?t=getfile&id=5826&private=0
The first one is "flat" the second one "turned at 90°".

What is you opinion or experience on this topic?

[Updated on: Tue, 16 November 2010 06:38 UTC]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Hollow Object
Next Topic:Material Question
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.