Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Work in progress » Dice Fair or Not?
Search Search  
Dice Fair or Not? [message #19696] Wed, 27 October 2010 06:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop

Do you care if a die is fair or not?[ 9 vote(s) ]
1.Yes I only want fair dice 3 / 33%
2.Yes but if it looks cool enough it doesn't mater 5 / 56%
3.No looks are all that mater 1 / 11%

With the exception of the 1 die labeled Loaded all my dice have been designed to roll fair. By that I mean:

1) Have a center of gravity within 10um of the dies center(often within 0.1um)
2) All faces have an equally sized area to land on if landing on a flat surface
3) Dice are numbered so oposit sides add to 1 more then the number of sides.
4) All numbers between 1 and the number of sides are used only once.

This desire to make fair has even been extended to my two 4 dimensional dice though rule 1 is only accurate on the 3d model and not the 4d object it represents.

To do this I have had to jump through some hoops with some of my designs.(for example adding pegs to the missing cubes corners in my inverted die design.

I have no intention to change my practice of always making fair unless purposely making loaded, but I wondered what other designers believe that it is important to follow these 4 rules and also weather or not the collectors out there care.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:European Ball Joint Doll
Next Topic:Complex cubes
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.