Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Ball joints and other moving parts
Search Search  
Ball joints and other moving parts [message #14151] Thu, 01 July 2010 00:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
I'm currently working on my first 3D-printable project, which is a small (about 2.5-3" at the longest dimension) multi-part action figure. By the looks of it, it will consist of about 25 moving parts, and for most of these I intend to use WSF to make snap-in hinges and ball joints.

Most of the model is worked out barring surface detailing and a bit of hollowing to conserve materials. But I need to check on the tolerances of the material so I can make sure I've left enough clearance on the joints.

Is there enough flex in WSF to allow a ball slightly larger than the entrance hole (say, and extra 0.5-1mm) to pop in? I'd add a slot in the back of the socket to allow air to escape as the ball goes in. And does anybody know how much clearance I'd need to make around the ball to allow it to fit snugly but still move when rotated? I've seen people mention leaving 0.5mm around moving parts that will be printed in situ, but this will probably be assembled post-printing, so I'd assume the clearance wouldn't need to be quite that high.

Andy

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:What is wrong with this and how can I fx it?
Next Topic:whats wrong with this WRL file
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.