Home » Community » It arrived! » Square Fabric is back
Search Search  
Square Fabric is back [message #83210] Wed, 15 January 2014 12:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
In March 2011, I designed my first Square Fabric. In the same period, Stop4Stuff designed his Square Maille - Flat N sampler and both models had a similar design: something flat made of square basic shapes.

So last December, when I was contacted by a journalist about this Square Fabric, I could not prevent myself from revisiting this design.

First I decided to make a new version with smaller links and smaller clearances. The previous version had a wire of 2mm with a clearance of 1mm. This time, the wire is 1.5mm and the clearance 0.5mm.
The result is the Square Fabric v2.
https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_1568275_1939172_1389784704.jpg

I also ask Stop4Stuff the permission to design a new fabric with a link directly inspired from his own design but with a more round feeling (without going into particulars, I work with cylinders intersections).
The result is the Square Fabric v3.
https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_1570865_1939150_1389784899.jpg

I really like how those fabrics react when you touch them.
The next step would be to take a scanned part of body, say a hand, transform it into a model made of squares and then replace each square by such a square link, in order to make a glove.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 January 2014 07:06 UTC]

So many things to design, so little time...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:The Original Golden Age Black Terror vs. Killer Robot Figurine
Next Topic:Yet another Pi case!
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.