Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Mechanical design of springs incorporated into object
Search Search  
Mechanical design of springs incorporated into object [message #69741] Thu, 13 June 2013 08:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar darenw  is currently offline darenw
Go to all my models
For one product, I'd like a part to be held within a larger frame, and to let the inner part rotate by (probably) 20 degrees or so. It will not be a separate free-moving part, but joined to the frame, with limited mobility. I'd like to join it by a strip or wire of material, so the whole thing is one piece. What should I know about designing this strip or wire? How flexible is each of the materials I could use? How flexible is a long thin part? Are there graphs or empirical formula to estimate spring constant from geometry? The image shows, crudely, some types of springs I'm considering. The inner disk will rotate about the red axis (by means not shown) but only a few degrees.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:My flute model isn't quite hollow
Next Topic:Just how flexible is WSF?
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.