Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Dyeing polished white strong and flexible
Search Search  
Dyeing polished white strong and flexible [message #65346] Tue, 02 April 2013 13:43 UTC Go to previous message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
I have been dyeing Shapeways WSF material for two years now using RIT fabric dyes. Recently, I have been having more and more problems with the process. A friend had heard from the Disk Golf community that RIT has changed their dyes recently, and the new dyes do now work as well on plastics. I have found that the new formula RIT dyes, which have a code on the top which begins with "ND", do not work very well for WSF. In addition, polished WSF in general is more difficult to dye compared with ordinary (unpolished) WSF.

What other dyes have people used? What dyes work best on polished WSF? The dye that Shapeways uses seems to be very nice. Any hint as to who makes this dye?

Here in the USA, Jacquard dyes are an alternative to RIT. They make iDye Poly, which is specifically for synthetic fabrics (so probably good for nylon), as well as a line of "acid dyes". Has anyone experience with either of these?

[Updated on: Tue, 02 April 2013 13:53 UTC]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Any way to clean multicolor sandstone?
Next Topic:Any recommendations for a painter to commission?
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.