Home » Developers » Shapeways API » Java API
Search Search  
Java API [message #65077] Thu, 28 March 2013 21:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar entertailion  is currently offline entertailion
Go to my shop
I'm working on a Java library to call the Shapeways API. I'm planning on using it for an Android app. I've got the basic OAuth flows working but I have some questions:
1. Why is the API based on OAuth 1.0? Most other web API's are based on either OAuth 1.0a or OAuth 2.0. Any plans to update?
2. There are some inconsistencies for the path formats for invoking the API. For example, "/materials/v1" for materials and "/material/{materialId}/v1" for a particular material makes sense. But then "/printers/v1" for printers and "/printers/{printerId}/v1" for a printer doesn't follow the same singular pattern (i.e "/printer/{printerId}/v1").
3. The JSON format of the results are not consistent. For example, the list of printers ("/printers/v1") are returned as a JSON array, but the list of materials ("/materials/v1") are not using the same array ("[ ]") notation.
4. The results contain duplicated data. For example, the list of all materials ("/materials/v1") has an ID for each material that is duplicated. The result for "/api/v1/" returns duplicated data about the rate limits.
5. Why isn't HTTPS supported for the API?

I'm trying to come up with a generic design to invoke the API and parse the JSON responses, but these inconsistencies is making it more difficult than it needs to be. Are there any plans to update the API?

Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 28 March 2013 23:43 UTC]

- Leon
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/entertailion
http://leonnicholls.com

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Obtain an amount of material used for my model
Next Topic:Private models
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.