Home » Support » 3D Design » From mathematical curve to 3D business card object?
Search Search  
From mathematical curve to 3D business card object? [message #64865] Mon, 25 March 2013 19:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar sylvar  is currently offline sylvar
Go to all my models
I'm trying to make a plastic card of roughly 85.60 × 53.98 mm that will have a curved groove cut through it so that I can use it to trace a standard normal distribution (also called a bell curve). I've been able to create a list of coordinates in Excel and import them as a curve in SketchUp, but that only represents the values themselves -- I'd want the groove to be about 1.5mm thick.

What are some good approaches to take here? If I can create a 2D graphics file with the groove on it (i.e. "cut out all the black bits"), obeying minimum thickness requirements, what next? I know I can import the image itself into SketchUp and put it onto the face of the blank card. I don't know how to turn that image into an area that I could then push/pull through the card to punch it out, or alternately to select the inverse of the area and push/pull the non-cutout part of the card out of the plane.

Thanks for any suggestions you have, folks.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Begineer on Designing iPhone & iPad Cases
Next Topic:HELP for calculating large models wall thickness minimum
Goto Forum:
   Go