Home » Support » 3D Design » From mathematical curve to 3D business card object?
Search Search  
From mathematical curve to 3D business card object? [message #64865] Mon, 25 March 2013 19:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar sylvar  is currently offline sylvar
Go to all my models
I'm trying to make a plastic card of roughly 85.60 × 53.98 mm that will have a curved groove cut through it so that I can use it to trace a standard normal distribution (also called a bell curve). I've been able to create a list of coordinates in Excel and import them as a curve in SketchUp, but that only represents the values themselves -- I'd want the groove to be about 1.5mm thick.

What are some good approaches to take here? If I can create a 2D graphics file with the groove on it (i.e. "cut out all the black bits"), obeying minimum thickness requirements, what next? I know I can import the image itself into SketchUp and put it onto the face of the blank card. I don't know how to turn that image into an area that I could then push/pull through the card to punch it out, or alternately to select the inverse of the area and push/pull the non-cutout part of the card out of the plane.

Thanks for any suggestions you have, folks.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Begineer on Designing iPhone & iPad Cases
Next Topic:HELP for calculating large models wall thickness minimum
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.