Home » Support » 3D Printing » Is shapesway charging for empty space?
Search Search  
Is shapesway charging for empty space? [message #58194] Fri, 07 December 2012 20:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Steps2light  is currently offline Steps2light
Go to all my models
I am designing a tube and according to Shapeways it is 30.4W x 11.6D x 11.6H = 333cm(cubed).

The thickness of the tube is 2mm.

So this tube is hollow which would give me a Volume of 14.5cm(cubed).

Shapeways estimate: $8 x 333 = $2664

My estimate: $8 x 14.5 = $166

For stainless steel at $8 this is quite a difference.

Seems your equations are based on outside parameter only? Is this automated computer error or is this just how the 3D printing machine works?

Why is the price for a solid tube the same for a hollow tube???

Shouldn't you be charged by material used not for air space? I am using less material so doesn't the 3D printer finish quicker? OR does it not matter with the 3D printer because is takes the same amount of time to create a hollow or solid object?

Also I am being charged by the widest dimension which is 11.6D...my part only has the Diameter for 20% of the part....the rest of the part is at 6cm D. So the volume of the part is charged not by actual material but the outer most dimension?

or am I not creating the object correctly for the computer to pick up the hollow shape?

Just would like to know how the machine works so I can create with it. But at this juncture this makes my project undo-able otherwise I would be ordering 10 right now.

Thanks

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:'White strong & flexible' vs 'White strong & flexible polished'
Next Topic:[Newbie] Prrinting a molecule
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.