Home » Community » Work in progress » Advice for beginner
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Advice for beginner [message #57105] Mon, 19 November 2012 19:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Petettt  is currently offline Petettt
Go to all my models
Hi there!

I'm very new to this...

My mum is moving house (she's in the process of building an eco home to move into), so I thought I'd make a small (5cm by 5cm by 5cm approx) scale model of her current house so she has something physical to remember the old one by..

I currently know very little about CAD, so far I have downloaded "Sketch Up" and traced the outline of her house (I've attached the .skp file)

So things I'm interested in finding out:

Is the cost per cm3 concerning the physical size of this model house or is it the volume of plastic used? In other words should I be making the house hollow? And if so how thin can the walls go? (Also if anyone has any Sketch Up tips - the file attached is a mixture of 2d surfaces and solid 3d blocks - guessing that isn't suitable for sending into shapeways!!)

Second question is, is Sketch Up a good tool if I want to be drawing on windows and doors with very quick learning curve? I'm not looking for much detail, just so you can see window ledges etc, and I'd like to order soon so it can arrive in the UK before Christmas!.

Many thanks in advanced for any assistance at all that you guys can provide,

Pete

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Some Nice Full Color Sandstone Models !
Next Topic:Spanish Chiminea tea light holder
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.